Chapter Ten

"What the fuck do you mean I have werewolves assigned to my house?! How the hell am I going to explain that to my parents? Oh. . . guess what mom. . that giant ass dog out there, it's actually . . ."

"I never said I liked it either, but you and your family will be safe. Werewolves are impervious to most magickal attacks." Mason said. "It was actually Derek's idea. The Antonescu Family is descended from the original druids that created werewolves. Even though his family is no longer active in Shadow Wood, the covenant still exists. The bond between creator and created is unbreakable, and Derek is a seen as a prince amongst the packs. Besides, you'll never see them. They've been known to be very discreet."

Holy shit. So the story Derek shared with me the night we met on Samhain was about his family. Is Derek a druid then?

"By the way," Mason continued, "We go to school with a few members of the local pack. We even played alongside some of them on the Team."

I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I got along with all of the guys on the Team; some better than others. But it did explain why the two werewolves I met at Samhain were attending the game. I briefly wondered if Coach was a werewolf. He did chase us down without tiring when Mason skipped practice for me that day.

"What's in the bag?" I found myself suddenly notice that Mason was carrying a black drawstring backpack.

"I was going to start teaching you some basic protection spells," but then he gave me those hurt puppy dog eyes that made him even more irresistible than he already was. "But, if you'd rather not. . . "

"You would do that for me?" Mason immediately nodded. I was beyond touched. I found myself sitting on the floor, legs tucked under. "I would be lying if I said I wasn't dying to learn any spells."

Mason looked secretly pleased. The only reason I say 'secretly' was because he quickly hid his excitement.

"I wouldn't go as far as to say there'll be any black cauldrons, broomsticks, or human skin bound books. . . "

"Ew."

". . . But, there is a simple, yet easy spell you can cast, without using a bunch of fancy words."

"Damn! I was looking forward to brushing up on my Latin."

I was being sarcastic as usual, and Mason only smiled at my remark. The skin of his lips spreading far and wide making my heart jump.

He kept his attention downward as he searched the contents of his bag. A moment later, he started withdrawing items -- a container of salt and a bundle of small white pillar candles. Well, this was getting interesting.

"Okay, so what do I do?" I could barely contain my excitement.

Mason must have noticed the way my eyes lit up, because he threw another one of his dazzling smiles my way. My hands were twitching in excitement as they rested upon my thighs.

"Don't get too excited," he chuckled. "I did say it was rather basic. But effective, nonetheless."

He handed me the container of salt, and told me to throw a pinch into each corner of my bedroom, as well as underneath my door and along the windowsills. This, he told me, would purify and seal the area of negative energies. Next, he cleared an area in the middle of my floor for us to sit together and told me to pour a thin circle of salt around us, making sure to start in the East and envision white light filling the circle as I poured. Whereas the room was purified with my previous actions, this would create an impenetrable sacred space around us. As the last bit of salt connected where I started, I felt a crackle of electricity thrum around us. Smiling at me, Mason nodded in approval.