Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was evening and the city is packed with people and traffic filled its streets. Lillian began to run. The guy she was about to meet stood up and left the reserved table. What the heck? Lillian thought. She knew it was him because of his undercut hairstyle. She observed that he's the only one who wore that do at that time. He wore a light denim jacket, its sleeves folded raggedly upto his elbows and white pants, as what he texted he'll wear during their first meeting. Veronica Moore, a close friend told Lillian one day that she gave her number to Conrad Boyd, a dashing boy of 18 to be her date. "C'mon, it'll be fun," Veronica said giddily. She refused at first, thinking that it's something petty. More than that, Veronica conived with someone about this. But through Veronica's persistent sweet talk, she finally gave in. Running in a pretty dress isn't nice, Lillian thought scathingly. "Conrad!," she yelled, but the boy continued to walk as if he heard nothing. As she neared toward him, she took the chance and tried to grab his arm. Her hand may have touched his arm, but she ended up falling. It was totally embarrassing.                                                                                         Lillian was breathless and her cheeks flushed from running. Conrad took off his Ray Bans slowly, a look of utter surprise on his face as he saw Lillian. How could I be so wrong? She is pretty, he thought as he drank in her image. To him, it was love at first sight. "Are you Conrad Boyd?" Lillian asked huffing, her hands on her knees. "You must be Lillian Carter," he replied as he helped her to stand up.

"Excuse me, someone wants to order lunch here," a guy behind her said. Lillian turned and saw a guy, his arms crossed. "Yeah, right - sorry," Lillian stammered and carried her tray. She couldn't believe she spaced out again. She remembered Conrad telling her that he walked away because of having doubts that his friend Josh tricked him in meeting someone pretty when actually not, which he did way back. They ended up laughing heartily. The memory made a sad little smile on her face, and despite what happened, she still love him.                                                                               Lillian is at Grindell Academy's cafeteria. The school is famed for its elite students and their freedom of not wearing a uniform. With this, students tend to brag as to what they wear. She scanned the crowd to locate her friend's table across the cafeteria. Then Lillian stopped in her tracks as she spotted someone unexpectedly: Conrad Boyd, her ex-boyfriend, and with him is Iris Porter, his current girlfriend, and her hand touching his arm affectionately. Speak of the devil she thought. With the threat of tears, she chosed to ignore them and carried on to walk. Finally, she spotted Veronica and went to her.                                                                                                                       "What's your lunch?," Veronica Moore said, glancing at Lillian's plate. "I have cordon bleu, some salad and bottled water," Lillian said nonchallantly. She saw Veronica's tray contained with a large, half-eaten cheeseburger, fries, a brownie, and a can of soda. "You haven't had your breakfast?" Veronica stared at her with an eyebrow raised, "As if you don't me, food is my middle name." She may have this kind of appetite, Veronica still maintains her fit body. A cheer erupted at Conrad's group of friends' table. Veronica looked from there then to Lillian warily. "When are you going to dye your hair completely in pink?," Lillian asked, avoiding what her friend's reaction might be. "Excuse me, it's not just pink, it's bubblegum pink," Veronica said between mouthfuls of burger. She easily gets bored with her curly light blonde hair. Veronica has done different hairstyles even the short pixie cut. Now, with her hair long again, she had it with streaks of bubblegum pink and plans to color it all the way. Lillian on another note, is content with her waist length dark brown hair. After a few moments later and books slammed on their table. Looking up, they saw it was Laura McDuff and Brenda Smith, their senior friends.                                                                                                              "I can't believe our assignment in History will be writing 5 pages of the Medieval Ages," Laura said sighing. "But at least Ms. Garcia is less harsher than before," Brenda said, flipping her hair.They may be seniors, but both Lillian and Veronica idolized them. They're cool and have an air of authority in them. They are also two of the most popular students of Grindell Academy, although in their group, Laura is the leader of the bunch. "Did you two bought lunch?," Veronica asked. "I don't plan on eating lunch, I'm on a diet," Laura said smiling. "But you don't look like someone who needs to be on a diet," Brenda said, looking at Laura. "Shut it, Brenda. I need to fit in my gown on our prom," Laura retorted. She hated topics about weight, especially if it concerns her. "Oh, I see Iris having a fab time with Mr. Boyd," Laura said inadvertently while looking at the group of Conrad's table. Lillian knew she's doing this just to change the topic. There are times when Laura can be mean  or tactless, but still, Lillian looks up to her. "I'm fine. Always," Lillian said, a smile forming on her face.   

Lillian patted her face with powder to retouch before Chemistry starts. I still have 15 minutes she thought merrily. Just as she was done, a toilet flushed and a cubicle door opened behind her revealing Iris Porter. "Hi, Lillian," she simpered. She continued toward the mirror to fix her shoulder length blond hair. 'I'm glad on how you're taking on things. I'm truly thankful that you accepted it wholeheartedly," she went on, now putting on a vibrant red lipstick. Her words were sweet, but there's a hint of bravado in it. Who is she kidding? Lillian thought. "Yeah, same here, she said kindly. When she couldn't take it any longer, Lillian said,"I'm sorry, but I've got to hurry for my class." Iris glanced at her," No worries and sorry to keep you." Lillian walked, desperate to get out. In the corridor, she realized her fists balled in anger, she opened her hands to relax. Be sure to make the most of it, for time will come and he'll be done with you she thought before entering the classroom. 

*Thank you for reading =) If you have questions, feel free to ask!