Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It was awkward when Lillian went to take a break with her parents at the office. Mr. and Mrs. Carter had their share of talk, but it didn't feel right based from her perspective, like something was up.

"Lillian, you're slouching again," Eva, the ever observant mother that she is, said.

"Dear, don't mind it," Edmund Carter said, waving his hand absently at his daughter.

Mrs. Carter was about to rebut when he cut her in with -

"I'm going ahead, a meeting's coming up," Mr. Carter said, standing up as he picked up his coffee and garlic bread.  He passed by his daughter and gave a little peck on the head. And that's it, not even a wave of good bye to his wife.

Lillian on the other hand looked down glumly at her milk tea and chocolate donut. She was famished a while ago, but the anticipation for food was gone. This wasn't how they spend snack time together. They didn't even asked how are things between her and Conrad. "Break's over, I guess. I'll go to the wash room. You want to come with me?" Mrs. Carter asked. "No, I would like to stay a little while," was all Lillian said. "Don't be late," said her mom, not missing one of her daily nagging.

"Aren't you getting tired? We have school tomorrow," Lucy, Lillian's colleague at the office complained. "But this is fun, I don't want to go home," Lillian pleaded, pouting her mouth. "What school do you go, again?" she continued. "Wingdale Institute," Lucy replied. Small world, Nathan went to the same school before. Taking away her thoughts of Nathan, Lillian remained silent and let her surroundings distract her.

They were inside a shopping mall, walking around. "Do you want to go there? I think their pasta tastes good," Lucy said, pointing at a little restaurant called The Italian Favorites. Inside, the restaurant's lights were dim but it gave off a cozy feeling. It was almost full since the customers seemed to arrive just after work.

"I'm texting home. Telling them I'm having dinner with a friend," Lillian said as she typed away from her phone. "That's new. What about your mom and dad? Aren't they going to be suspicious about it?" Lucy asked as she poured herself at the menu. I don't think they'll even mind "I'm telling them I met a school mate and we'll be discussing something important about the org," Lillian replied, leaning on the table.  After a few minutes, their food arrived and they started their dinner.

"Wow, looks like someone hasn't eaten at snack time," Lucy said amusedly, twirling her fork gently on her pesto. Lillian, who was chomping down her lasagna rather ravenously stopped, a look of utter surprise and embarrassment etched on her face.  "Sorry..did it look that way?" Lillian slightly giggled. "It's okay, it looked funny," Lucy replied. "If mom has seen me, she'll kill me. You know how she is," Lillian said. A minute of silence passed by, then she asked, "How would you know if something's up with your family?"

"If it were me, I'll try to investigate on my own," Lucy said. Lillian remained quiet, thinking. As if sensing her thoughts, Lucy continued with a second option, "Perhaps you can try talking with the people in your house."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what they say about servants, sometimes they know something you don't."

On the way home, Lillian was  in deep thought. Mr. John Reed, the driver had been shooting her with concerned looks, but she let it be. Would she do what Lucy advised her to do? She didn't want to appear nosy or gossip  hungry. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to eavesdrop, make it look like she stumbled upon the servants' conversations. Abbie and Carol are known to be the chatty ones among the staff. She recalled a time when Mrs. Reed reprimanded them about it.