Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Lillian faced the mirror putting the finishing touches of her make-up. She wore a soft coral high low dress and nude heeled sandals. Her hair was fixed into a braided crown. Contented with her look, she stood up to pick up her purse and went out of her room. Tonight was Vice Principal Miranda Lindberg's birthday. The VP loves to party and adores being an excellent hostess. Grindell juniors and seniors were the only invited students much to the younger batches' dismay.

At the main entrance of the mansion, John the driver waited. "Where's Nathan, Mr. Reed?" Lillian asked. "My son went to Grindell ahead," was his reply, putting on his driver cap. "Never wants to be late, that's just like him," she mumbled checking herself on the glass doors for the last time.

Grindell's grand function room changed into colors of white, lavender and gray for the Vice Principal's night. Lights played at the dance floor and throughout the room, filled with students, teachers and important quests. Lillian walked across when Laura called. Turning, she spotted her friend dressed in black female tuxedo and silver stilettos. Her pixie platinum blond head styled in funky fashion. "Look at you," Laura said, impressed. "And you look daring," Lillian countered. "Where on earth's Brenda?" Laura said, her tone slightly in panic. "Did she call or text you anything?" Lillian asked scanning the crowd for Brenda. "Can you cover for her, just in case? It's okay to use your phone," Laura instructed. "No problem," Lillian assured.

When Laura turned to leave, Lillian saw Conrad and Iris talking with a group of students. They seem to be new since it looked like Iris gesturing towards the place like that of a tour guide, while Conrad looked proud.  Iris wore a tight half sleeved leopard print dress and red shoes, her hair lose in half ponytail. Conrad, his hair combed in sleek style and wore a pinstriped suit.

That kiss. Yes, she felt that dawdling yet urgent rush of the memory.

Before Conrad caught sight of her, Lillian carried on to look for Brenda. Minutes later, a voice over announced everyone to settle down for VP Lindberg's opening speech. "A wondrous evening to all.." the velvety tone of VP Lindberg said. As she carried on with her speech, someone sat beside Lillian. "Did Laura look for me?" Veronica asked, slightly flushed. She seemed to tried hard walking in big strides so as not to miss anything but still managed to look ravishing. "No," Lillian replied. "Have you seen Brenda?"

"She's with some date, flirting," Veronica informed. Before Lillian protested, she immediately added, " But she passed me her school memory card and caught some photos." Lillian sighed in relief then said, "You look simple, but gorgeous." Her friend wore a cream strapless jumpsuit, gold metallic belt and stilettos, and her hair fixed in faultless bun style. "Thank you, I love your look, too," replied Veronica. Finally, when VP Lindberg was done with her speech, everyone proceeded to the dance floor to interact specially with the new students of Grindell. Representatives of different school organizations present their calling card to other representatives for contact purposes and to new students who might be interested to join their club. Registration proper will commence tomorrow.

"I might be planning to join League of Painters," Veronica said thoughtfully. "Go ahead, it's one of your fortes," Lillian encouraged while smiling pleasantly to passing interested students. "Yeah, but their president looks intimidating," Veronica said with a tinge of worry. Lillian giggled, "Veronica Moore - what's up with you?"

When her friend did not speak, she continued to tease, "Do you like him? That's a given, you're always like that."

"Stop it!" Veronica hissed, her cheeks starting to blush. At this, Lillian gasped, "Oh right - I remember! Jason Keats' your - what was that? Your love at first sight, hah!" Veronica's face contorted in shame, "One more time, Lillian."