| O n e

Annabelle's POV

Five years ago, That day was supposed to be full of laughter.

Lopsided grins should have been etched into each of our faces.

Eyes sparkled as we hold each of our gifts, wanting to see the surprised look of the receiver as he unwraps them.

Hugs and kisses should have been shared, as the air is filled with the melody of the song we are all familiar with.

But then, as they say, It would only take one bullet to have devastating consequences.

The day that should have been worth celebrating turned into a dreadful nightmare.

I can still remember the warmth of my Mamma's hand as she clutched into my much smaller ones.

She wore the broadest of smiles as she presents to me her chosen gift for Papà's birthday. Her smile was the trait I love most about her.

Her plump red lips would stretch as far as they can, showing pearly white teeth, with beautiful dimples visible on both sides of her cheeks.

Her cheeks would rise up, making her eyes look smaller.

Her eyes, as blue as the ocean with a hint of turquoise sparkling with laughter.

Her dirty blonde hair swaying as she throws her head back while she laughs.

My Mamma couldn't be more beautiful. At the age of 40, she could pass as a woman in her early 20's.

She looks so carefree as she gushed about what Papà's reaction will be the moment he recieves it.

A silver watch with our surname De Alfonsi embedded at the back, along with our initials, L.A.I.L.L.A. symbolizing Lydia (Mamma), Annabelle, Ignazio (Papà), Lucio & Lucas (The Twins), and Adriano designed with a gold lining.

It was simple yet so elegant at the same time. So fascinating.

She tells me about how she would place it in a black satin enlosed with its velvet black box, accompanied with a card which contains a heartwarming message for Papà.

She then entrusted it to me saying, " Anna, Honey, Don't forget. Don't proceed to the dining room until I say so, okay?" As we stood in the middle of the kitchen.

As she clutched my shoulders, anxiousness brimming in her Turquoise blue eyes. "Wait for my shout indicating Papà's home, alright?"

"Don't worry, Mamma" my voice oozing with confidence, "We've already rehearsed it plenty of times. After we hear your signal telling us of Papà's arrival, Me and my brothers will head to the dining room. I will hide our gift behind my back, grasped in my hands. The twins, Lucio and Lucas will get the party hats, while Adriano will carry the cake. All is taken care of." I said all in one breath. I unconsciously put my hand on my chest as I inhale huge puffs of air to catch my breath.

It was at that moment that we heard the unmistakable sound of the doorbell.

I squealed. 'Papà's here. Papà's finally here' I thought in my head.

After pressing a kiss on each of our foreheads, Mamma headed to the door, not before peeking one eye into the peeping hole.

While my brothers were busy taking a hold of stuffs assigned to them, my eyes were concentrated on Mamma's quivering figure.

She was undeniably pale. Her once rosy cheeks were now white as a sheet of paper. Her plump red lips, now lost their color in a trembling mess. Her knees wobbled, exerting too much effort to support her weight.

It was as if she has seen a ghost, right in front her fearful eyes.

"What is the matter, Mamma?" She looks scared, terrified even.

That's when she looked back at me. "Go hide, Baby"

&

A/N: VOTE VOTE VOTE

Any guesses who it might be?