Part V

Johnny's eyes creaked open his eyes that morning, tired despite being asleep for most of the night. He opened his eyes fully and sat up, holding his head. He woke up with a headache and hadn't a clue why. They hadn't been drinking that night, that was for sure. All they had were colas. But...he couldn't remember who this they were. He got up and looked over at his closet-that was really just a couple of cardboard boxes packed up on each other- and found a piece of paper taped onto it. He read it out loud to himself, confused as hell:

Johnny,
I really had fun last night. I know we'll never be able to do anything like this again, because of our cliques. But I realised something. You told me a lot last night, about you and the other greasers. I've never seen you cry before, even if it was only a small bit. Just because we're different in money doesn't mean we're different in heart. I can't believe things are that bad for you. You've changed me, Johnny. I used to think poor people didn't matter and were just something to joke about. But now, after what you said, I understand. Things are rough, life is rough. But you walk in with a brave face. And that's something I admire in you. Thank you. -Derby Harrington.

What the hell did I say? Johnny thought. The two cliques had had a truce ever since Jimmy took over, but there was always an underlying tension. This meant a lot. Derby Harrington admiring him? That was something. Something special. And although they'd never tell anyone else about what was said, they'd always remember that prom night...

End