f o u r - his ex

song for this chapter - not nice by partynextdoor

she was, without a doubt, the most popular girl in school.

brooke morris. i don't remember a time where she wasn't the topic of gossip going around school. she was your typical bitchy, regina george mean girl.

so why ethan ever dated her, i had no idea.

she was beautiful. no, she was stunning. she was the girl who looked 18 when we were in middle school.

her big brown eyes always drew people in.
ethan was never the type of guy to fall for a girl and date her because of her looks, that just wasn't him.

when he first started to develop feelings for her, i was confused. she wasn't his type at all. sure she was stunningly gorgeous, but personality wise? they just didn't click.

she was the type of girl who cared way too much about her reputation and her looks.

grayson was just as confused as i was. it was obvious why brooke was into ethan; because he was attractive and popular. she only dated him to up her own popularity and to make herself look good.

ethan never really told me what went down between him and brooke that led to the breakup, he didn't even tell grayson. we never bothered hi about it though, we figured he'd tell us when we wanted to.

brooke strutted into class and took the only seat that was left, which was unfortunately right in front of me.

when her and ethan first started dating, she was actually nice to me. but a few weeks in i learned that that was all an act. she soon started threatening me because of my friendship with ethan, and for a while, ethan and i drifted apart a bit. i'm not gonna lie tho, it's actually kind of nice to know that she felt threatened by me of all people.

ethan eventually got sick of all of her drama and started realizing how badly she was treating people, especially his friends, and he finally broke up with her.

i looked over at kian who had had his head down on the desk ever since brooke walked in. let's just say that no one in our friend group was a fan of hers.

"if we ignore it, it'll go away," i whispered to kian as he brought his head up when the bell rang.

mr. meyer got up from his desk and introduced himself, then went on to give the "welcome back, class" speech that we had all heard 5 other times today.

i zoned in and out throughout the period, just wanting the day to be over. to my surprise, brooke didn't antagonize me at all during class. i figured i would get at least a couple bitchy remarks from her, but she was just as good at ignoring me as i was her.

"bro, this is stupid. i'm leaving after this class," kian huffed as he tossed his pencil in front of him and took a drink from his water bottle.

"don't you have like, government after this?" i asked him.

"ppfft. you think i believe in the government? i already excused myself from my moms skyward account." kian said as he started to shove his notebook into his backpack.

"whatever you say."

i texted ethan letting him know i'd be out in 10 minutes. thankfully, mr. meyers wasn't the most attentive person, and brooke was too preoccupied fixing her manicure, so it was easy for kian and i to sneak out a few minutes early.