Chapter 21 - Who Wants To Live Forever?

Art by NeverCatchMe

When I arrived at work the next day, Vanessa ran up to me and said excitedly, "I think I finally know where the Elixir of Immortality is!"

"Where is it?" I asked.

"I can't tell you here - someone might overhear us," Vanessa said.

"I think the whole building knows that you know where the Elixir of Immortality is by now," I said.

"I'm sorry," Vanessa said. "I got kind of excited. I've been searching for the Elixir for a long time. I made a map to the Elixir though, and I'll show it to you after work."

"What are you two talking about?" Declan interrupted.

"We were just talking about a book that Jay and I read," Vanessa said. "It's not that important."

"Which book were you reading?" Declan asked. "Normally, I'm more of a comic book guy, but I'd love to see what you're so excited about."

"Uhh...it's called...Twilight!" Vanessa said. "Yes, Jay and I were talking about Twilight."

"Is that the best that you could come up with?" I whispered to Vanessa, but thankfully, Declan didn't overhear us.

"I've heard a lot about Twilight, but I've never actually read it," Declan said. "Maybe I'll check it out someday."

"Don't bother," I said. "It's not as great as Vanessa thinks that it is."

Declan shrugged and then said, "I should get back to work. I'll talk to you two later."

"It's kind of funny," Vanessa said. "That was the longest conversation that I've had with Declan all week."

"Really?" I said.

Vanessa nodded and then said, "He's been acting kind of distant lately. I can't figure out why. Anyways, I wanted to ask you something."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Do you think that you'd be able to help me get the Elixir of Immortality?" Vanessa asked. "It might be easier to retrieve the Elixir if there's someone helping me, and I heard that there are hundreds of vials of the Elixir in Roosevelt's Cave. There will be more than enough for you to become immortal if you so wish."

I thought about it for a few minutes and then said, "Of course I'll help you." I desperately wanted to help one of my closest friends, even if it might be dangerous.

"Are you sure?" Vanessa said.

"I'm sure," I said.

"Great," Vanessa said. "I'm leaving for Yosemite this afternoon. Meet me after work, and I'll drive you there."