Chapter Eight: ~ Escape

We had planned it with Keith, but he was dead. He had drowned. We plotted to escape, and now we had the chance. The only loose shackle remained on my ankle, and all Keith had to do was survive the second trial and he would've been here with us. To see our attempt of escaping. The others remaining ignored us, like we were nothing. But that was fine, they know better now. I wouldn't hesitate to choke another one of them, although, it isn't the best idea as of now. It was fine anyways, they ignored us and we ignored them, being they decided to not cooperate in an escape attempt.

"Today is the day." Darren whispered to me, and I nodded absently. I had to get out of the shackle, then find a way outside of the building complex we were in. After that, I had to find someone to alert. Anyone.

"Are you sure about doing this?" I heard Katie ask me.

"Yeah. We have to escape, after all." I replied while I tried to form a plan. It wasn't that hard of a task to leave the room we were in, it was just an ordinary door. The hard part would be escaping the shackles, but mine could slip right off, almost. After I left the room, I'd quickly explore, seeking a way out. Anticipation gnawed inside my stomach, my throat closing with anxiety and the pit in my stomach growing. The plan was to start our escape as soon as our caltovator came and left. He always had the shackle keys with him, so it was no use to try and free the others. The door swung open.

"Lunch." Our captivator grumbled as he handed us our sandwiches, dark bags under his eyes. Did he rarely sleep? How much time did he put into creating our trials? He said nothing as he handed us our food, ot wasn't hard to tell that everyone was, and has, lost weight. He left in silence, and then we heard the slam of the metal door.

"Good luck, Katlyn." Darren said patting my back as I struggled with the shackle, trying to get it off.

"Thanks." I replied as I slipped it off and gently laid it to the floor. I was standing now, free. The other group had a look of hatred in their eyes, of disgust.

"Stay safe." Katie said, trying to sound confident but her voice cracked.

"I'll be fine." I replied while twisting the nob to the door that was shutting us out from the world. I felt eyes piercing in the back of my head and body. The look of worry, anticipation, anger, and undoubtedly hate. I walked out of the room and shut the door behind me. I was now standing in a dimly lit hallway, the air cooler out here. The floor was wooden, and it creaked a bit as I shifted my weight from one foot to the other. Where to go? There were crooked paintings and random tables in the hallway as well, rooms lined up along the walls. The tables were firmly pressed against the wall when there was no door in the way. It's funny, we had the shackles but it wasn't to hard to exit out of the room. The only obsticle was the chains. Then, my blood went cold. I heard screaming from the room I was imprisoned, the screams unique. Not of a fight, or inflicted by pain, but to alert someone. The other group were yelling to get our captivators attention, so I could be punished and they'd be rewarded. Anger and panic raced through me but I realized he must not of heard yet. So stupid, if they would let me escape they would be out of this nightmare. Darren and Katie would handle them, for now, I needed to find a way out. Hopefully he won't realize and I'll have a chance to escape. I surveyed my options again. I could turn right, which would lead to the dead end of the hallway but also to a turn. The same thing for the left way, except it was a longer way down before there was a turn. I decided to go right, and quickly met to the turn. At the turn, there was just a large metal door. It must lead to some kind of basement, and this must be where he does his work. I turned back around and started going left, then something hit me. He can't hear the screams right now, so he wouldn't hear glass breaking, right? Instead of finding an exit, that would probably be locked, I just had to break a window. As I walked silently down the hall, I noticed there was a door that was open a bit. All the other doors were shut, but not this one. I opened the door, and I was dismayed to of find the windows blocked off by thick planks of wood. Nailed in firmly, it'd be futile to try and escape from the windows. In the room, I noticed a few things: a closet, a bed, and a book. The book was lying on the bed, the posts of the bed literally rotting. The matress was showing, and it was ripped with blankets sprawled upon it. The book laid on the center of the bed, and I picked it up out of curiosity. I opened at a random page and read, judging by the format, it was a diary. The year was unlegibile, but I could read the standard date fine.