Chapter Four: ~ The Twelve

How long had I slept? I didn't know, but I was assumed to be the last to wake up. When I woke up, I was in a room with eleven other kids around my age. Six boys, six girls. Including me. They all had chains around their ankles, as did I. None of them made any noise, they were just staring at me. It was like they knew making noise wouldn't offer help. I looked around at my surroundings. I also had a chained leg, and it'd be close to impossible to get it off without a key. Despite it, the room was pale and empty with only one door. It was a cracked, beat up wooden door. The room had no windows. Then I noticed him. My captivator. But he wasn't the only one, I also noticed Katie.

"Katie?!" I asked in a surprise tone and she nodded, worry and anxiety in her eyes. That bastard had captured her to!

"If you're wondering, I took both of you to my little home. I stuffed her in a car seat while I had you in my trunk." My kidnapper said, chuckling.

"You bastard." I said, barely whispering. He burst out laughing. What the Hell as wrong with him? I still had my original clothes on, and so did Katie. I bet it was the same for everyone else, but why were we all here?

"Now," He said, beginning. "I bet you're also curious why I chose each of you lucky children."

There was silence.

"I've chosen you twelve to play a game with me. Each month, each of you will go through some sort of life threatening task, it could be anything." He said, his voice was deeper with malice.

"If you die, you die. This continues for a whole year." After he had said that, the room erupted. Shouts and protests from the other teens were drowning out his voice, but he seemed to be able to get control back.

"Silence!" He snarled and everyone fell quiet. "If you don't know, I have the power to kill each and every one of you right now.

"And if we'd rather die?" A girl spoke up, and the captivator only smiled.

"Well then, you'll just make the gam easier for everyone else. I won't kill you, the game will." After he had said that, she began to tremble.

"Like I said, this continues for twelve month. The last month is December. Whoever completes that last task and lives, will be set free." Is he serious? I didn't know, but we still had to fight for survival. He turned his head at me and knelt down, letting my hair.

"Precious." He said breathing in the scent of my hair and biting in my ear, I shoved him back, shaking like a dog. Katie looked pissed. He only laughed.

"Your first trial begins January 29th, today is December 31st. Your last trial will be on December 29th." He said and left the room, closing the broken door behind him. Was that it? What about food? Everyone was quiet. We were to stunned to talk to each other, to stunned to have hope. Twelve kids were supposed to remain in a single room for a year, and put up with a psychopaths game? After about half an hour, he brought in food. It smelled so good, and he gave each of us a plate of food. It was a good portion, and smelled delicious. But I didn't trust him enough to eat it.

"Tonight, we feast!" He said in a loud voice holding up his own dish, a few people began to eat it. It may seem stupid, but what else could we do? If he was serious about the games, we needed our strength. If he wasn't, what could this be? It just didn't seem logical. He was insane, so maybe he was serious about giving us a decent meal. The food touched my tongue and it tasted so good. It was probably one of the best things I've ever tasted, Katie had the same reaction. It was some kind of meat loaf, which is weird because I don't usually like meat loaf. Everyone was eating now, then I remembered some past events. I as worried about my family, and Katie's family. Were they looking for us? If they were, could they be able to find us? Then something struck up in my thoughts.