Chapter 3

I am impatient and grumpy even though I've only been waiting for a few seconds. Another male walks in that's about my age and sits down.

He has curly blond hair and dark eyes.

Before I can even say hello, I am whisked back into my conference room to be alerted of my new life. Great.

"Alright Vanessa, after reviewing you interview, behavior from the past years, and physical examination, I have determined your status." She begins.

I only notice how nervous I am when I look down and see my hand shaking and leg bouncing up and down.

I have nothing to be nervous of, I think, everything here is perfect.

"First of all, I have approved you to have a marital partner meaning that you will be placed in the choosing which will occur in a matter of weeks. Second, you have been approved to have children, assuming your partner has been as well. As for your job, we have selected you to be an undetermined, meaning that your job will be assigned the day of the choosing based on your partner. Although that may seem strange it is common for most women to be undetermined unless they aren't fit to be wed. You will live in the main sector."

I am shocked that everything is working out. I still have to wait for my job, but I am sure I will get something I am pleased with.

"You can follow her to the main sector." She points to a women in a black A-line dress who guides me out of the room.

We make our way down a short hallway and out doors that lead into a cafeteria.

"I'm Shelby, and I'll be your caretaker for the rest of your life. If you have any questions I am the one to ask. I will be very helpful in getting you into the swing of your daily life."

I am pleased with the food she places in front of me, which appears to be a bowl of fruit with all different colors. Each color tastes sweet and distinct. After I finish she takes me into what I can only assume is outside.

The sky is just as blue as I imagined and the grass is so green it hurts. The smell of dirt and flowers hits me immediately, and I love it.

She walks me a fair way away from the building and we reach a large building with many windows.

"This is your apartment building." Shelby says as we walk in.

She takes me up two levels to the third door. The door already has my name on it.

"In here you'll find your closet, food, and bed until you are wed. Your clothes are all grey since your undetermined, and you have to wear a pink bandanna since you are to be chosen soon." She instructs as she ties one around my wrist. "Here is your key card to get around the main sector."

I do a spin with her still in the room at my apartment. It, too is grey and a bit dull, but to me it is beautiful and a massive upgrade from the white room.

As she is walking our she turns to me and says "One last thing, I know you thought you had a few weeks until your choosing ceremony to get settled, but the next one is tomorrow so you and all others brought in today have been signed up. Your dress will be dropped off tomorrow morning with a note on where to go. Don't get too attached to this place, you'll move out tomorrow I guess! See you then."

I meet my husband tomorrow... and I just got here.