Chapter 27

The night was so long. I couldn't sleep because I was so anxious. I will escape today. And I will take Greyson with me.

At least, that's what I've been telling myself all sleepless night. I know I need my strength, but how could I? What if they discovered my plan? I fear that my consequence would death- or worse.

The long night finally ends when a nameless, indescribably bland looking guard brings me my breakfast. I eat the gray looking mush and the water. A meal like I would have gotten in the white room, when I was a normal captive instead of an illegal one.

It's only an hour before the second bland looking guard comes around and collects my tray and watches me swallow the pill. I don't, of course, and wait for him to leave before flushing it.

My heart is pounding out of my chest; this is it. I have what I think is about four hours before someone will come in and find out I'm gone.

I peel off the panel behind the toilet. It was my first thought to exit because I've heard passing voices behind me, but not stationary ones like there are next to me. And boy, was I right!

When I've finally gotten the panel off, it reveals a secret space between my metal walls and the brick ones for the hallway I was hearing.

Here, there is no one to question me, no cameras to find me. I try to replace the panel on the wall so they will have to try hard to find me, and run. Quietly. I quietly run in the near dark. It smells like dirty water, and I find out why when a I look up to see pipes. This is a utility hallway.

The hallway seems endless, but I find a door eventually that I assume workers use when they need to get in this place. It's locked.

I search around using my hands. It's so dark I'm afraid my eyes wouldn't find it. Luckily, I feel something that is similar to the silver key that Azalia stole.

I slide the key into the lock in the door and quietly turn it. The door slides open easily and I creep out into the real hallway. I don't see anyone, and when I look out the window it's because it's night. Why would they give me breakfast at night?

I try to walk down the hallway with purpose, which I really have. When I see a sign directory I almost shriek in happiness. No more wondering! I skim the list.

Captives ——>
Surgery Rooms —>
Youth Rooms <———
Special Cases <—
Offices <——

I take it I was a captive. I wouldn't think Greyson is, too, and I know I'm likely to be discovered there. Greyson is either in surgery or a "special case".

I decide to head to the special cases room. I think the length of the arrows dictates how far I have to go, which puts me in a tricky situation.

Too far, and I hit the offices. Aka, discovery.

I start to make my way down the hallway when I hear voices. Voices, headed near me.