Chapter Four

When I woke up my head was pounding, I felt sick to my stomach, and I was still furious. I really didn't want to see John right now. Maybe I had been a bit dramatic to say I never wanted to see him again, but I wasn't ready to face him just yet. I sheepishly crawled out of bed, threw on some old shorts and my favourite Under Armour sweater, and crept down the stairs.

    I pulled a stool up to the table and glanced at the clock on the wall. It was 12:53pm. I poured myself a bowl of cereal, and started to eat. I heard someone come up behind me but thankfully it was just Mom. She sat down beside me and rubbed my back. "Morning sunshine!" She cheered enthusiastically. "How was the big party?"

    "It was ok. A lot of smoking and drinking mostly. Just a typical party." I cringed. Similar words had started the infamous fight with John last night.

    Mom shrugged, and then as if to read my mind said, "I heard you and John had a fight last night."

    My stomach churned. My heart sank. I wondered what bullshit sob story he had filled her with. "Yeah we did. Where is he anyway?" I inquired, glancing around the house.

    "He left awhile ago. He's gone surfing with a few friends. They probably won't be back until supper time." She paused. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really. We'll settle it later." I continued eating my cereal. Mom looked like she wanted to keep talking, but she just walked away and started on a mountain of dishes. I added my bowl to it, and then turned to walk away.

"What are you up to?" Mom asked, not looking up from her task.

"Just going to clean my room and maybe watch a movie or something."

"Let's watch a movie together," she suggested. "After all, you'll soon be moved out."

"Sure, I'd like that." I was dreading having to leave home at the end of the summer, so I was looking forward to spending some quality time with everyone, especially Mom, before then. You see, that's one thing I love about my family; we are close. We always have been, and hopefully always will be. That's why I'm really hoping that John and I can make amends as soon as possible.

I tried to clean my room but I was too preoccupied with how I could approach John about our conflict. Instead, I laid on my bed for what seemed like years playing possible scenarios of what I could say, over and over in my head. All of them ended with either me crying or him storming off in anger. I could only hope the real deal wouldn't play out like that.

I was just waking up from a short nap when I heard the phone ring. I glanced at the clock. It was 4:06pm. Who calls at that time on a Thursday? I had just begun to scroll through my Facebook when I heard my mother's blood-curdling screams that will haunt me until the day I die. That's when I knew something was terribly wrong. Was it Claire? Meghan? Please not the baby! I silently prayed. But nothing could have ever prepared me for the words my mother managed to speak between gasps and sobs. Three words that made my heart stop, my stomach drop, and my world crash. "John is missing."