Chapter Six

I don't think I slept at all that night. I couldn't let them follow through with their plan. John would kill me. But what could I do? I'm only an eighteen year old, emotionally wrecked, little girl. The government would never listen to me. But I'd have to do something....

I don't remember falling asleep, but I woke up close to lunch time hearing pieces of my parents' quiet chatter at the kitchen table. I think they were arranging the funeral. My mom came into the living room just moments after I opened my eyes. It's funny how moms have that sixth sense to their children. The kid doesn't have to say anything and the mom knows exactly what they want; and my mom knew then, I wanted a hug.

"Oh sweetie," she cried, holding my head to her shoulder as the warm, salty river of tears began to stream down my cheeks. I had to tell her what I learned last night, but how? I just enjoyed the moment, wrapped in a mother's hug, the safest place on Earth. "Do you want something to eat?" She asked, rubbing my back. I nodded, and began to follow her to the kitchen.

    I sat down beside my unusually quiet father who was sipping on black coffee and glancing at the newspaper, but I could tell he wasn't really focused. The silence was unbearable. It made my skin crawl. I couldn't even bring myself to say 'Good Morning' with the huge lump I had in my throat. Thankfully, my mom quickly returned to the table with a bowl of tomato soup, (it was cold but that was the least of our worries right now), and sat down beside us. She tried to smile but it was pretty pathetic looking. Her tired, red, puffy eyes glanced around the table to find the tv remote. She grabbed it and flicked it on. Guess what was on.

Mom and Dad seemed relieved when they heard that they were going to kill the shark, and they seemed surprised when I piped up. "I'm going to stop them if it's the last thing I do." Mom's jaw hit the floor, and Dad sat there gaping at me as if I'd just grown an extra head.

Mom started stuttering in bewilderment, and finally spat out the dreaded question; "Why?"

"Do I need a motive?" I asked, a little more sarcastically than planned.

Dad was pissed. "Young lady that monster killed you're brother. He's never coming back now, do you understand me!? Now why the hell do you want to save this shark so bad?"

I stood there shakily for a moment, taking the angry, disappointed, confused, looks from both of them until I finally said, "I don't." Then they looked even more shocked. "John does."

My mother sobbed the whole time while I told her the story of John's final wish. Dad just held her and whispered softly, "That would be my boy." I even cried for a little, thinking about how we both thought that day would never come, but it did. Less than 24 hours later. I just sat at the table blankly staring out the window while my parents tried to grasp one of their boy's last major request on this earth. Eventually the tears ran dry, and the heaves subsided, and then they turned back to me.

"This is going to be the hardest thing you've ever done. It won't be easy in any way, shape or form." I nodded, at her as she rubbed my cheek. "But I think this is the best closure we can get for right now, so I want you to do what you do best." I half-smiled, knowing exactly what she meant. She kissed my forehead, and I ran upstairs to construct a game plan. It was time for me to do what I do best. It was time to fight like hell.