Chapter 6: Tunnels

The group open up a hatch. Alice, Rain and Naruto look down in it. Rain looks at Alice.

Rain: After you. 

Alice frowns at her, along with Naruto. Together, they go down and walk through tunnels. Rain and Kaplan take point. The others follow them. 

Spence: What the heck is this place?

Kaplan: The utility tunnels. They run underneath the hive for water, gas and power lines. 

Alice picks up Naruto and holds him close. They continue onward around the tunnels. After a few moments, Spence sees something familiar about the tunnel. 

Spence: It's been in here before.

Rain: Keep moving!

Spence: We're going in circles!

Kaplan: (Takes out a map) No, this is the route the computer gave us. Through the utility tunnels--

Spence: (Pushes the map away) Why are you listening to them?

Rain: (Grabs him and slams him against a mesh) Enough already! We have no choice but to keep moving, 'cause those things are right behind us. You got that?

Just then, hands stick out of the mesh, grabbing Spence. 

Spence: Oh! Goshdang! 

Matt and Kaplan pull him out of the way as the zombies try to get them.

Alice: That mesh isn't gonna hold. Keep moving. 

Naruto: (Looks ahead) Mommy!

She looks and gasps. More of them are in front of them. Alice punches one of them. Naruto hugs her more tight as he clutches his toys tightly. Alice continues punching them while protecting Naruto. Naruto looks up and sees they can escape up on the pipes. 

Naruto: Up! Up in the pipes! Up!

Matt, Kaplan and Spence try to hold the mesh in, but the zombies are too strong as they push harder. 

Kaplan: There's too many of them! 

Alice elbows a zombies in the face. One of them managed to grab Naruto's arm. It bites his arm. Naruto screams in pain. Alice sees this.

Alice: No!!

She punches it. Naruto cries in pain as his arm bleeds. Alice tries to help him. She comforts him. She looks behind and sees a zombies coming at them. She runs at it, grabs the pipe and grabs its head with her legs. She twist her legs, snapping its neck. She lets go of the pipes and sees more of them coming. She runs to the others.

Alice: Run! Up on the pipes. Up on the pipes! Quickly, everyone! Up on the pipes! Go!

Matt: (To Spence) Come on! There's a way up! 

Rain: (Holds the mesh) Watch out! Keep 'em back! 

Alice continues fighting the zombies by kicking them or slamming them against the wall and snapping their necks. Spence and Matt climb up the pipes. Naruto continue crying in pain. Then, his eyes turn red again. He sees a zombie. He grabs its arm and flips it on its back. Then, he steps on its neck and breaks it. 

Matt: Get over here! There's too many of 'em! Come on here. Go, go, go!

Alice picks up Naruto as he picks up his toys. She helps him up the pipes as Spence pulls him up. Alice comes next. Rain and Kaplan continue holding the mesh. 

Rain: (To Kaplan) Go on! Go, go! I can manage! 

He runs to the pipes. He punches a zombies and starts to climb up. As he makes it halfway, a zombie bites his foot. He screams in pain as the others hold onto him. Rain fires her pistol at the zombie's head, killing it. It lets go of Kaplan's leg and they pull him up. Naruto watches as the zombies surround Rain. One bites her hand. She pushes it as she drops her gun. She kneels down to pick it up. As she does, J.D. is in front of her.