Chapter 5- Standing on the Edge

“Oh, Bill you did so well up there!” Simone exclaimed as she captured Bill in a tight hug.

“Mom I didn’t even do anything…” Bill trailed off. His body was being cruel to him for drinking so much the previous night.

“You did do pretty well, Bill,” Said Gordon, playfully shaking Bill by the shoulder, “You and Tom were made for attention.”

Bill shuddered at the comment from his stepfather. Though it was nice, he surely didn’t feel like he was getting very much attention at all lately. Truthfully he was, from his friends and family, but Bill only wanted attention from one person in particular.

Bill looked in the direction of Tom and Contessa, and grimaced as he caught them kissing. It was so hard for Bill to be happy for his brother.

He shot invisible evil laser beams through his eyes into the back of Contessa’s head.

“Hello, Bill!“ Contessa’s mother, who always wore too much perfume, said to Bill as she squeezed the life out of him.

“Hello, Mary-Ann,” Bill smiled.

Mary-Ann was in love with Bill, which he found to be quite humorous, especially when her husband Ron was around. His face always had a disgusted look on it when Bill was near, and he always rolled his eyes at the whole ordeal.

“Bill,” Ron said in greeting, to be polite of course. Bill smiled and nodded in his direction.

He watched as his parents greeted Contessa’s. They all seemed to get along quite well, which made Bill even more nauseous than he already was.

Gustav and Georg quickly found Bill in the crowd of people.

“Too many people in here,” said Georg, looking around.

“You would think we’d be used to it by now,” said Gustav, giving his famous shy smile.

Bill rubbed his forehead. There were too many people indeed. Well, too many people for his current mood anyway. Usually he didn’t mind much.

“Got a headache?” asked Gustav.

“Of course,” said Bill, who always had the worst hangover out of anyone in the group.

Gustav patted Bill’s shoulder, “We’ll be out of here in an hour or two.”

Bill nodded sadly.

He really didn’t want to go to his empty home knowing his brother wouldn’t return that night. He’d be halfway around the world on his Honeymoon.

“Where’s the cake?” said Georg, looking around the room again, “Ah, I see it!”

Gustav laughed as Georg ventured after the cake.

“Hey, wait for me!” said Gustav. He turned towards Bill and doubtingly asked, “Are you having cake, Bill?”

Bill shook his head. He couldn’t remember the last time he ate.

He noticed Contessa’s parents making their way to the little stage in back, probably to give a speech.

“Hello! Can I have everyone’s attention, please?” said Ron, a big fat cheesy smile on his face, “Tessa, Tom, get up here!” He waved them over.

“For our wedding gift to you-” Ron started, but Mary-Ann stole the microphone.

“Our wedding gift to the two of you is a little much, I must admit,” said Mary-Ann, “But we wanted to do this for our little Tessa. We know this is something she always wanted, and we’ve decided to give it to her.”