Never together

The Doctor and Nurse spent the rest of their shift tiptoeing around each other, smiling when they caught each other's longing glances. Frieda had noticed this early on and pulled Jac into her office after they had finished a complicated but successful surgery. The woman was unusually cheerful.
"What's going on?" The other doctor enquired with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.
"Nothing." Jac brushed her off quickly.
"That's a lie Ms Naylor. Have you told him yet?" She accused.
"That's none of your business. Now get back to work Miss Petrenko." Jac snapped, returning to her usual self.
"Okay but no canoodling in the office please." Her thick accent dripped with an audible smirk and she sauntered out. Jac rolled her eyes at the back of the woman and followed her out.

The surgeon found the nurse she had deeply fallen head over heels for standing at the Nurse's station.
"Hey you." He said as he looked up at the sound of her heels on the concrete floor. Jac surprised Fletch by placing her arms over his shoulders, letting her hands hang limply behind his neck. The nurse glanced around nervously, trying to see who was watching.
"Hey relax, it's fine. I don't mind who sees, do you? Besides everyone is busy anyway." She said calmly even though her pulse was erratic currently. At the sound of her soft voice, Fletch responded by putting his hands on her waist which was covered by her smart black trousers and tucked in blouse. Her waist is tiny, he thought. However, what neither of them knew was that there was someone watching them from a distance.

A few seconds later, Frieda came wandering past with an eyebrow quirked.
"What? You said not in the office, this isn't the office?" Jac pretended to get defensive at the look Petrenko gave her.
"I said nothing." Frieda replied and walked away with another cheeky smirk. However, just moments after they were left alone again, they heard the click click of another pair of heels heading in their direction.
"Well well, the famous Jac Naylor. The Ice Queen of Holby Hospital eh? I believe we met briefly earlier this morning, didn't we?" The woman spoke. Fletch's hands immediately dropped from Jac's waist at the sound of her voice and he stepped a few centimetres away, causing Jac's arms to also drop. The surgeon felt a slight pang through her chest at Fletch's reaction to the woman he had previously slept with's appearance.

"Anyway, Mr Fletcher can I have a word please. In my office." She said bluntly and turned to walk back across the ward.
"Bitch." Fletch heard Jac mutter under her breath as they watched the CEO retreat. He smiled and kissed her forehead and followed after Abigail. When they eventually stopped marching down the corridors and were inside Tate's office, Abigail perched on the edge of her desk, facing Fletch.
"What the hell was that about?" She demanded. When Fletch didn't reply she continued. "Are you trying to make me look like a complete idiot? Actually no don't answer that. I thought you liked me but no, you're going and cheating on me with that bitch of a woman!" She tried to keep quiet but was struggling with her anger.
"Um I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here. For one, we weren't and aren't dating so how can I be cheating on you? And two, Jac is not a bitch! She is anything but a bitch if you take the time to get to know her. If anyone is a bitch it's you! We had a two night stand a week ago, get over yourself and move on." Fletch said, anger filling his voice and he stormed out, back to his office.

Frustrated, the nurse sat at his desk slumping down. He was angry at Abigail but he was also angry at himself. For all he knew, Tate could fire him at any minute. He could lose his job over one silly affair that meant nothing to him. He had shouted at the CEO and called her a bitch. Christ Fletch what the hell are you doing? He yelled at himself and slammed his hand on the desk in front of him.
"Woah! Jesus Fletch, calm down." Jac said with a laugh as she wandered into his office. "What's wrong?"
"My brain, that's what." He replied with a sigh. "I shouted at her because she called you a bitch. So now I could lose my job."

Jac spluttered as she tried to hold in her laugh. "You did what?"
"She thought me and her were still a thing as well. She meant and means literally nothing to me. I slept with her because I thought it would take the pain away. The pain of not having you around anymore." He said sadly, avoiding eye contact with her.
"Oh Fletch, I'm sorry. I should have come back sooner." She walked over and kissed his cheek, cupping his face in her hands. "I love you and I'm sorry it took so long to realise that."
"Me too." Was all he said and pressed his forehead against hers and pulled her onto his lap.
"If she has any sense she won't fire you. You're the best Nurse around and she would struggle to find anyone better." Jac complimented him.
"Is that a compliment I hear Ms Naylor?" Fletch teased her.
"Oh shut up. Better be careful, otherwise you might not get one again. I'm not prone to throwing them around very often." Fletch laughed and kissed her softly. It was a kiss full of love and admiration for the woman sat on his lap. He could never lose her now, he thought.

A/N: Thanks to naylorholby for the idea of exploring how Abigail would react to them. Hope you enjoyed it!