Final Chapter : Twenty Seven

He did not know when, but at some point, he fell asleep on the couch he managed to put back upright.

It was after he cleaned the floor and made the place look a bit better. Probably about the time he sat on the couch to look around and pat himself on the back for doing such a good job. It was late morning by the time he fell asleep - the sun was shining in the sky and the birds were singing the loveliest songs.

But when he did wake up, he was not surprised to see his mom up, as well - she was the first thing he saw, when he opened his eyes. She was sitting there, on the floor, next to the couch, her head resting on her hands and just looking at him.

He smiled. "We need new doors.." he whispered and rubbed his eyes. When he focused his eyes back to mom, she was smiling.

"I think.." she said quietly and he felt his heart stop. His mom's voice. The sweetest sound in the whole world. "I think we need a new place. Don't you think?" She was smiling still. He hesitated for a second.

"But .. what if something happens to that place, too?" He muttered.

"It won't. It's over. It's just you and me again. So pick a place," her eyes lit up, "any place, and we can go there." She said and put her hand on his. He felt like he's never been this happy, seeing his mother. He was usually annoyed by her. He would never be, ever again.

"But da-Henry?" he said and he saw her expression flinch a little. He saw his mother draw a breath and knew she would explain.

"He left. Couldn't decide on his priorities. Not that I hold it against him." She said calmly and smiled again. "Though you two wouldn't get along either way." She winked at him. He flinched. It seemed wrong.

"But, mom.." He sat up and looked at his mother. "It's Henry. You love him. You told me you love him! I will not forgive myself if I fuck this up," he said.

"Language," Vanessa tried saying that with a serious face, but a smile was still dancing on her lips. She could not feel angry at him right now.

Tom still felt like a disobedient child right now. Why couldn't his parents be together? They were both alive. And Tom knew he'd move out in a few years anyway, though now he doubted it - he never wanted to leave his mother , ever again.

"Mom, you love him." He said. "Right?"

"Tom.." Vanessa whispered and lowered her eyes.

"Well? Do you?" He was relentless.

"Yes, I do. But you don't understand.." her eyes fell shut as she trailed off.

"No, I don't! So what, he was angry at me? I messed up. But you love him."

"It's not what you think. I asked him to leave." She said and Tom's eyes widened, as she continued. "He did not worry about you. He was angry at you. I understand him but I cannot accept it. You are my son. You are my priority."

"Ah, he'll come around," Tom waived his hand in the air, brushing the argument off. "I'll be gone in a couple of years. I'll get married. Make you a couple of grandkids. And I can't stand you being alone. So get up, get dressed and go to him. I'd be angry, too, but mom, for fucks sake!"

Vanessa interrupted him. "Language!"

"Oh, goddamnit, mother," Tom rolled his eyes. "You said it yourself, love always wins.."

"Tom, would you please leave me and your mother for a moment?"

* * *

Vanessa felt her heart sink when she heard his voice behind her. Henry.She could not pinpoint her feelings - it was pure fire, it was rage, it was hate, it was exhaustion, but it was also joy, happiness and .. yes, it was love. Pure, true love.