Chapter 2: Festival Time!

"Mum,mum,... tournament?" Natsu said while cleaning the table of food before him, his ears instinctively perking up at the mention of the word 'tournament'.

The guests from Fiore were currently at the middle of the large town, enjoying all it had to offer. From the enticing Camrion delicacies and sweets, to the colourful ribbons and balloons that could be seen at every turn, and to the fancy dresses and suits everyone sported.

While still in town, Ma'cona had informed them of the tradition of dressing up, as it was a major, and well looked forward to, part of the day's festivities.

That, and a tournament.

"Yes. Along with celebrating years of peace, the festival also remembers the passing of four of this country's greatest legends!" Ma'cona explained, a hint of extreme pride in her voice. "A Tournament of Champions is held in honour of their memory. It is held within the castle courtyard, which is converted to a miniature arena floor."

The Fairies lessened with keen interest, amazed at the level honour this country's people showed to their passed ones.

However, some had other things on their minds.

"So when does this tournament start?!" exclaimed Natsu as he pumped his fists, flashing his toothy signature smile.

"It begins at noon sharp!" Max said excitedly, jumping in to inform him.

"Yes! And it's only 10 am! So we've got plenty of time til then!" Ruby too joined the conversation. "And, the winner gets the title of "Champion of Aura" for the rest of the festival!" she added in a cheerfully excited voice.

Hearing this information only helped to ignite a flame, and now Natsu stood on the table with a triumphant smile on his face. "Alright! Then let me in on that tournament! I'm all fired up!" he cheered, however was only met with both confused looks from the officials escorting them, and annoyed ones from his fellow guild mates.

"You can't just join in on their main event, ash-for-brains!" Gray argued, annoyed.

"What was that, ice princess!?" Natsu argued back. Two nicknames later and the two were yet again on their usual routine of yelling and roughhousing.

Ma'cona along with the other officers and even the children sweat dropped at the scene before them of two boys fighting, one miraculously stripping in the middle of all that, only to be parted and scolded seconds later by a scarlet haired lady. Who's mere warning glare was more than able to do the trick.

"Is this normal?" Ma'cona turned to Makarov, who's head was covered in tick marks. "Unfortunately yes." he admitted.

"Well, I did hear that two people who are really close friends fight a lot." Ruby contemplated.

"Really! If that's true then they must be lovers!" Max exclaimed shocked, a statement that lead to everyone present bursting into a fit of laughter.

The notion, however, didn't sit very well with a certain blue haired water mage, who was looking quite distressed.

"Anyways," Ma'cona continued. "It's unusual for a visiting embassador to participate, but I suppose it isn't impossible. Contestants do travel from all over the country to participate. All candidates have til 11 am to sign up, though."

Ecstatic, Natsu almost took off running before being stopped by Ruby and Max. "You can't go looking like that!" they said together. "You need to dress up too!" they cheered and dragged Natsu's group into a nearby costumes shop.

//Timeskip//

Overhead, a sparrow flew above the  marble courtyard, who's high corridors were now filled with people chatting excitedly, awaiting the start of the tournament.