Chapter 10

"Brad Tate's my date? No way," I mutter.

My Mother raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow at me, "what was that?" she asks with an underlying threat, daring me to repeat.

"Nothing," I reply. Mentally cursing my Mother for being obsessed with me marrying into money.

"You poor child," comments Thomas as I walk into the home theatre, Abigail sitting next to him.

"Shut up," I groan, sitting on the other side of him.

"What's wrong with Brad? First of all, he's hot and second he's rich, he's basically my ideal man," comments Abigail. Lately I've noticed her becoming more and more like one of those rich, stuck up popular girls, it has Thomas and I both worried. He's worried she'll end up s gold digger like their Mom.

Neither of us reply, Thomas instead flicking on the movie, The Notebook, courtesy of Abigail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for romance, just not this particular movie. I find myself excusing myself to my room.

I groan when I wake up the next morning, I'm most definitely not a morning person. After all but rolling out of bed, I brush my hair back into a ballerina bun and get dressed in my ballet gear before promptly heading out the door.

"Well, well, well look who it is," Kayla sneers as I walk into the studio. "The walking manatee."

"Look who it is, the walking shovel," I put my stuff down and begin warming up at the barre.

"That doesn't even make sense, freak," Kayla sneers.

"Well how else are you gonna dig for all that gold?" I begin stretching my leg.

Kayla groans in annoyance before turning away from me. "That was a pretty good comeback," says someone beside me. I turn around and notice a pretty dark skinned girl.

"She deserves that and so much more, believe me."                                             

"Oh I believe you, I'm Lucinda, by the way. This is my first day," she smiles at me.

"I'm Amaia, my friends call me Maya," I return her smile.

______________

I tug on my long, loose braid as I walk into school that morning. The day hasn't even started and I'm already over it. Lately, I've been constantly exhausted because I'm being so overworked by my Mother. She's absolutely determined that I'll return to my former glory, no matter how impossible she knows it is. I stumble slightly on my ankle boot as I go up the stairs to the school.

Maybe heels weren't such a great idea.

As usual, Abigail breaks off to join her friends while Thomas and I go and meet with everyone else by the lockers.

When we arrive, Fiona and Adam are talking animatedly while Hannah has Luke pressed up against the lockers, one of her legs slightly wrapped around his torso while her lips are pressing furiously against his. As we approach Adam and Fiona, I put my finger in my throat and make a gagging gesture to hide my jealousy.

"They've been at it for ten minutes, I swear they haven't even come up for air," comments Adam. I rip my eyes away from the lovebirds.

"Dude, that's gross," says Thomas.

Kayla makes her way over and all but throws herself at Thomas. She's been trying to get with him for the past few weeks but surprisingly, he hasn't given in. However, as she presses her lips to his, something she attempts every once and a while, he doesn't push her away, which is a first.