Chapter Ten

It's Now or Never - Elvis Presley

~Asaíra ~

We assembled at Allison's house once more. After I coughed up that piece of paper, I concluded that it wasn't safe to be outside anymore. I wasn't sure how close King Cadmus and his 'warriors' were close to finding out where I was. But I wasn't too worried. Once my plan was set in motion, it didn't matter whether they knew where I was or not. All I needed was Irvine.

I glanced around as Séres closed all the blinds and Allison made sure all the doors were locked. The ebony warrior had leaned against the door frame with a caustic attitude.

"As if that'll keep them out," Irvine scoffed and flicked a loc over her shoulder. I swept a loose strand of hair behind my ear. She was being so difficult, but I didn't blame her. She didn't want to sympathize with me and she had every right not to, but her skills were the key to all of this. If this didn't pan out, I would have wasted my time... my existence. I grew frantic just thinking about it. I eyed the sword in her hand.

"Are you going to help me?" I asked with a slight tremor in my voice. I felt so vulnerable that I feared the flame inside me was about to be doused. If not by Irvine, then at the hands of my own people when they found me and prosecuted me. If the King had sent some of his men after me, I had to act quickly. "It's now or never." Irvine glared with her intense eyes. Even with her domineering attitude, I knew she wanted this as much as I did. They committed a genocide on her people. She was trying to mask the deep gall she held, but it seeped through the cracks of her smouldering eyes. "Now's your time," I voiced. I was mostly speaking to myself, but I knew she could relate to it as well.

Irvine was too proud to admit that stooping down the level of vengeance was in her nature. But who did she need to prove herself to, when everyone she knew and cared for was dead. 

"What do you need?" she asked reluctantly. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"We need a weak point to break the barrier." I thought of my first entrance into Earth. "Like the library." I pictured the looks that'll be on their faces when all this would be over.

"Why?"

"I want to open a portal."

"Oh, I get it," Séres broke her silence. "Since they're here to find you, you're going to run home and hide." She smiled, very pleased with herself. I shook my head.

"Yes, I just need to retrieve something," I lied. Irvine narrowed her eyes but remained silent.

"Um," Allison said. We all turned to face her. "I don't know much about this, but isn't this going to cause some sort of backlash?" I raised a brow. "I mean." She waved her hands around. "This is our home." I smiled. Her innocent brown eyes reminded me of when I was younger and cared deeply for family and the well-being of everything in general. But now, I didn't feel anything. Or at least I told myself I didn't.

"Allison dear, thank you so much for helping me out, but if anything were to happen to you, you could easily be replaced." Her eyes widened as she took a step back. It was time to break off whatever connection we had. My plans didn't involve young earthlings.

"What?" Séres asked with a gasp.

"Look, if you're going to put Earth in danger, I won't allow it," Allison spoke out. She crossed her arms over her chest with a grim mien. How? You weak human, I thought. 

"I'd prefer if you guys stayed here, for your sake of course," I replied. The sound of a vehicle pulling into the driveway caught our attention. Séres rushed to the window and peered through the curtains.