Chapter Six

Sun of Jamaica - Goomday Dance Band

***

Picture of Séres

~Allison~

My eyes opened, immediately glaring at the ceiling. The last thing I wanted to do was to roll out of my warm bed and face my current situation. There was a woman downstairs who was frighteningly similar to me in looks who had deep vengeance on her agenda. I dreaded what would happen if Karen was to walk through the front door any moment now. 

I sighed and rolled over to check my phone for messages. There were two missed calls from Javier and Jacob. I hadn't spoken to them from the night we met up to watch a movie. I'd been so caught up with Séres and Asaíra... who I left unattended downstairs for the night. 

I quickly got out of bed and rushed downstairs. Sure enough, Asaíra stood near one of the living room windows, peering outside.

"Your Asar has risen," she stated without physically acknowledging my presence. I frowned and walked towards her. The morning sun gave her pale skin a sepia glow, yet it bounced off her hair and it glimmering in the natural morning light. I assumed she meant the sun when she said 'Asar'.

 I assumed she meant the sun when she said 'Asar'

"I see," I stated. Afterwards, the silence was interrupted by an angry growl from my stomach. "Are you hungry?" I asked as I made my way into the kitchen. I put some water to heat up in the electric kettle. 

"There's no time," she uttered and came to sit near the island. "You said you would help me find the relic of Irvine." I took a mug from the cupboard and placed it on the counter. 

"It's just a fake story passed on through generations... particularly my grandmother," I explained. "I know Séres said she would, but I doubt this really exists."

"Where I'm from, every story is true," Asaíra snapped. She crossed her arms over her chest, with a glowering look. "Are you telling me that you don't know where the relic is?" I sighed, pressing my lips into a thin line. 

"Yes, I have an idea where it may be, but I can't promise you it would be there." I began to pour the hot water into the mug, and then something crossed my mind. "Where are you from?" I asked; a common question you'd ask a stranger firsthand. However, it took me one night. Asaíra turned from the window, her silvery hair flowing effortlessly over her shoulders.