Chapter 2

I don’t know why, but my instincts told me to run from the enormous man walking towards me. I can’t lie, I'm terrified. This guy is three times my size and one hit from him would kill me for sure. I whipped my chair around and pushed my wheels as hard and as fast as I could. I heard the man curse under his breath as he started to chase me.

I looked back to see him only about fifteen feet away from me. My heart started to pound as the panic set in. He must want to hurt me if he's chasing me down. I turned onto the next street and to my disappointment; I ended up trying to pull myself up a steep hill. I didn’t really make it far before my arms gave out on me.

"Damn you’re fast." The man said as he ran up to me panting. "What are you doing out here all by yourself?" He asked when he caught his breath.

"Nothing." I said. I tried to hide the fear in my voice but I was unsuccessful. He looked at me with a raised brow and then looked at the bags hooked to my chair.

"Are you a run away or something?" He asked. I refrained from rolling my eyes at him.

"Why do you care?" I asked looking away from him.

"I care because a strange werewolf in a wheelchair entered my territory." He replied.

"You’re the Alpha?" I asked finally realizing why he is so large and why he has such an intimidating demeanor. He nodded his head.

"What are you doing here kid?" He asked. "Shouldn’t you have people, you know, watching you." I growled lowly at him not really caring that he's the Alpha here.

"I don’t need a baby sitter," I said through clenched teeth. "I can take care of myself." He rolled his eyes at me.

"Really?" He asked sarcastically. "Then why did you run?" I really didn’t know what to say. I know I keep saying I can take care but obviously all I can do is run away.

"Because where I came from, weak little wolves like me are a target." I mumbled lowly.

"Is that what happened to your head?" He asked sounding a bit concerned. I nodded a bit. "Where are you staying- what’s your name?"

"Devlin Parker." I said. He stuck his large hand out to shake mine.

"Eli Duncan," He replied as I shook his hand. Well really as his hand swallowed my own tiny one. "You can come stay at my pack house if you like." He offered.

"I don’t think that’s a good idea." I said as I thought back to how my own pack treated me. I may as well have been an infectious disease to them. Eli held his hands up defensively.

"It was just a suggestion," he said. "You'd be a lot safer there than you would be out on these streets. It’s getting dark and a person like you will definitely be a target in the dark." I hadn’t really thought about that. If I stay out here, there's no way I'll survive the night.

"Nobody's going to hurt me are they?" I asked looking down at my feet.