Chapter 1

Alyssa's eyes fluttered open to see an array of stars all lined up on her ceiling. They glowed a faint green when the lights were off. She sighed deeply and practically rolled out of her disaster of a bed.

She gazed at the sheets tugged off the mattress and clicked her tongue after glancing at the clock on her blue wall. No time to make it. She had to make it to the theatre. The theatre! She grinned even thinking about it.

'No time to think, think when you're eating breakfast.' She thought to herself while sitting up from the green and blue carpet and dusting her hands off. God, this place was dirty.

She sat down at her small wooden table with her Lucky Charms cereal five minutes later. She grabbed a Food Network magazine and started leafing through the pages with one hand and shoving a spoon full of marshmallows into her mouth with the other. She wondered why she had a Food Network magazine. She only cooked when she had to, which was almost never.

She got up and stretched to her right, since she preferred her right everything over her left. She sighed with delight as she grabbed her coat and her keys off of the only clean and organized thing in the house. The coat rack.

She took her apartment stairs two at a time, even though she was 25 and had very bad memories of falling down stairs, via, her sister. She reached the last step and jumped to the bottom. She checked her mailbox before opening the door even though she knew she wouldn't have mail except for the occasional catalog or magazine.

She opened the door to see tons of people doing tons of things. It didn't matter if they were riding their bike, reading the newspaper and sipping coffee, or even talking to a neighbor. They all looked like they were important people or the activity that they were immersed in was one in a large list of others. She finally felt like she belonged. She strutted out of her apartment and closed the door behind her. This was the best day of her life. How could today ever go wrong?