Chapter 15

Sorry about the long wait guys! But uni is now over and I can now start writing again!

Dedication goes to Natsvn, thank you so much for your kind words, they made my day!

A Rose Among Thorns

Joseph

"Tabitha, what time is it?" I grumbled, rubbing my eyes as I padded into the living room in my socks. She was sitting by the small piano in the corner of the room, the keys seemingly moving on their own until my eyes focused enough to see her shadow perched on the little stool.

God, it's times like this I actually miss my parents, mum loves dad's music. I thought to myself.

"Half four, why?" She looked over her book at me, which was almost in pieces, the cover mostly made of duct tape. Hmm, that would make it half four in Capri, oh well.

"There's no point avoiding it any longer, I'm gonna have to tell them." I sighed, taking the laptop from one of the cabinets and hooking it up to the flatscreen.

"Tell who what?" She said as she turned a page.

"My parents. About Julie." Ah, Julie. Like Tabitha guessed, her dad wasn't happy with her sneaking out for the ball, then returning in a less than conservative maid outfit covered in Tabitha's black insides. I hadn't seen her in the past week, only able to harass Oscar at every opportunity.

Tabitha froze for a second, then she scoffed before bursting into giggles," Oh my god, this I have to see!!"

"I'd rather be alo..." I tried to brush her off but she'd floated over to the armchair beside the couch, her eyes on the screen, the book neatly closed on her lap.

I sighed, but made my way over to the couch, tossing some dirty socks and some paperwork out of site of the webcam's view. Gingerly, I clicked on Skype and called my parents.

After only a few seconds, the call connected, and the king and queen blurred into view. They were wide awake, despite the early hour there, and he was dressed in one of his normal shirts, so it couldn't be a big public thing they'd need to be awake for.

"So...how's our little boy doing?" My mum grinned into the camera, gripping my dad's knee so hard I could see him slowly trying to remove it.

"What are you guys doing up? It's not even sunrise." I ignored the little boy comment, I was thoroughly aware Tabitha was in the room, who'd furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Huh? It's just you who sleeps backwards? How does that work?"

I sighed but quickly explained," Witch magic, protects all of Capri from UV light, so we can live normally."

"Son, you look exhausted, you still haven't found out who's behind the attacks?" My dad looked actually concerned, which was odd. Suspicious, even.

"You had a vision, didn't you?" I rolled my eyes, and slid further back into the couch, dad was always spoiling things with his stupid visions, and they never actually happened when we needed them anymore. Usually just to figure out birthday presents and cheat at board games.

"Just a little one, a tiny flash of this conversation. Enough that I knew to keep us awake until now." He shrugged. No, he didn't know about Julie then, there's no way they'd be this laid back.

"Well, I'm glad you guys are sitting down for this. It's not...easy to tell you guys."

"What is it, Danny?" My mum shocked me by using my old nickname from my first name. It was hers and Clarissa's name for me, which she'd dropped after my wolf had died and I'd switched to my middle name. I straightened my back and took a deep breath.