Chapter 12

A/N: I also uploaded a chapter yesterday so make sure to read that chapter first :)

A Rose Among Thorns

Chapter 12

Joseph

"This is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard." Julie said, folding her arms and glaring at the scientists.

"Honestly, it's in your best interests; I attend the ball as the beta, Tabs and Alpha pretend to be mates, we gather intel from their beta, and find out if one of theirs could be the killer!" Her brother babbled, walking over to one of the boards," Should things go wrong, she can do a memory wipe."

I looked at Tabitha, she was looking more and more...droopy, lifeless. The mate of an alpha is strong, she looked like a toothpick. I looked at Julie, who was positively glowing, more beautiful by the day, this couldn't possibly work.

"I don't see why we need to trade places, I'm more than capable to act the part, because, I don't know, I am the part." Juliette huffed and moved closer to me, her intoxicating scent filling my nose.

"Because I am expendable. Look at you, one wrong bullet and poof! Gone," Tabitha clicked her fingers at her, rolling her eyes," You're more use on the sidelines."

"Sidelines! Excuse me, I will be the next Luna; It's my job to be on the front lines!" Julie stepped towards, and towered over her elfish frame.

"No, you sit at home and make puppies, you're lucky you're even coming."

"If it wasn't for my brother, you'd be long gone!" Oscar stepped in, using his cane to separate the two.

"This isn't helping, girls..."

"Oh please, none of you would be here if it wasn't for me!" Tabitha turned away and let out a breath," You will be the getaway driver, and you will sit outside, close enough that I can use your scent."

"You have Erick for that, I can go!" Julie turned to me then," Tell her!"

I looked between the two girls. Yes, I wanted Julie safe, but I didn't want to act all lovey-dovey with...her. Plus, it would make Julie angry when we'd only just met.

Angry, but safe, I thought. I wasn't going to lose my mate, not again.

"We'll get you in, Julie, The band? Staff?" I compromised.

This was apparently the wrong thing to say, as she growled under her breath, shoving Tabitha and shaking as she threw open the door and jumped the patio steps. I turned to see Oscar shaking his head and Tabitha covering her mouth, but her black eyes glinted.

"Oh, you gotta get used to that," Oscar sniggered," We've gone through many door and windows because of her." He looked strange when he smiled, his burnt side pulling half the smile into a grimace.

"It's been thirty years, give me a break." I muttered, rushing to catch up with my disappearing mate.

"Julie? Julie, wait!" I called to her, almost tripping on upturned roots.

She slowed at my command, and the realisation dawned on me. My alpha command, it works. All alphas could command members of the pack when needed, and my desperation seemed to echo back to what little remained of my wolf.

She came to a stop just in front of Corvale lake, the balcony of the house above us, sheltering me from the lightening sky.

"Look, I'm sorry. I just want you to be..."

"Safe. Hey, I know. I've been safe my whole life, but I though my mate would give me a little bit of freedom." She sighed, her back to me.

"It's difficult to explain, but I've had a mate before, and....I lost her." I said quietly. Surprisingly, I wasn't felt with the feeling of shame as I often did whenever I said it. Of course, I still felt awful at the memory of losing her, but with Julie in front of me, it wasn't as sharp a sting. She was a balm for the pain.

She slowly turned around, her eyes wide in awe," ANOTHER mate?"

"Yes. I guess that I was given another chance, with you." I said, taking her hand and pulling her closer.

"What happened to her?" She asked, looking down at our hands.

"She drowned. I wasn't there in time." I said, barely able to look at her. How would she react? Would she be angry? Or jealous?

"Is that why your wolf...?" She trailed off.

"Yes. As punishment." I spat out. Dad always said it was ridiculous, my wolf wouldn't just die, but I knew it was because of what I'd done.

She was silent, but she rubbed her thumb across my knuckles.

"But, you didn't die, Joe. You survived, because you were meant to come here. To me." She said softly," Fate wanted you to have a second chance, and if you found another mate, maybe there's a chance your wolf may come back." She smiled up at me, her blue eyes shining with unshed tears.

"You think so?" I dared to hope.

"No one has ever had two mates, but no one has ever had their wolf die. You are one of a kind, Joseph Stark." She reached up and kissed my forehead.

I smiled back at her, taking her face in my hands, about to kiss her when something stung my arm. I hissed and stepped back. The sun had broken through the mountains.

"Shit, I forgot about the sun," She gasped, looking at my red arm," I'll go get Oscar!"

Ten minutes, three blankets, one strong sorcerer, and quite a few trampled flowers later, Julie and Tabitha got me to my room.

"As long as you don't terrify me with vampire stuff again, I can deal with your past." Julie smiled warmly at me as I flopped onto the bed.

"Problems with the ex, huh?" Tabitha snorted, receiving a hard glare from the both of us," Trying to lighten the mood." She muttered.

"I'll be back at sunset, then we can plan this ball," She said, then turned to Tabitha again," You're gonna need some help to look the part." She grinned, and the petrified look on her face had me laughing into the day sleep.

Please vote and comment guys, I worked really hard on this chapter!