Chapter 27 : Friend

Chapter 27: Friend

Christian's POV

I flip the phone over and over in my hands, contemplating on who exactly I should call. Flynn always says I need to talk more to a loved one, but honestly, who do I have? It used to be Ana, but everything's different now. I don't want to talk to my shrink right now, and I'm not close to anyone else. At these moments, I regret not having any friends.

I shiver runs down my spine as the path where her lips and hands trailed still lingers. Why did Anastasia do this to me? What did I do? Why did I agree to her punishment? These rhetorical questions are killing me right now. But I need to call someone. I need to get it off my chest. I need to talk to Flynn

The phone rings thrice before he picks up the call. "Christian", he greets affectionately.

"John."

"How are you?"

"There is something I need to discuss."

"Go ahead."

Well... here goes nothing.

Next Day: Ana's POV

Idle mind is Devil's workshop.

That is me right now. Mila is away at school, and I can't stop thinking of the bomb that she dropped at breakfast. What's concerning was Christian's reaction to it. She asked Christian if her and me would stay in Escala with him from now on. In these situations, Christian would probably avoid the question or talk his way out of it, he always had a way with words. But today was different. His whole demeanor screamed something has changed.

"Daddy?", said Mila.

"Yes, munchkin?", Christian said sweetly.

"Will mommy and I stay with you always?", she asked, with a hint of fear in her eyes.

He stopped chewing midway but resumed quickly before he thought I could notice. "Of course, why do you ask?" and at his response, my eyes widen. Did he not understand the question? She means that can I also stay permanently with him?!

She smiled as she shrugged. "All my friends' parents stay together... they said you don't love mommy anymore so you don't live together."

"Who are these friends of yours?", I asked, clearly pissed.

"Daniel, Samantha and Ava."

"Ava as in Uncle Elliott's daughter?" I asked and glanced towards Christian. For some odd reason, he looked calm about all this.

She nodded at my question and my blood boils. How dare Kate talk about my life with her kid.

"I'll talk to Uncle Elliott and mommy will talk to Aunt Kate is it okay?", Christian said after a while as she nods.

"Wait... I'll talk to Kate!?" I said, barely able to say the words.

"Is that a problem?"

"Not really... that's fine."

And that's how I ended up on the balcony, my favorite place in the house. It's 6pm and the sun is just about to set. There is something oddly calming about Seattle's skyline, the view is breathtaking. The rainbow of colors painting the sky with the setting sun. My phone is tucked securely between my fingers as I contemplate calling Kate. What will I say? When I think about today morning, I sure want to talk to her, parent to parent, but when I think about the past 6 years, I realize I cannot shout at her or speak rudely. I'm guilty and I've realized over the course of years that I absolutely suck at dealing with guilt.