Chapter 5; Professor Snape

(Told from Loki's point of view)

The first day of classes was a learning experience. And I mean learning as in learning how to navigate the castle. I read that there was 142 staircases at hogwarts, and they varied from thin and rickety to magnificent and sweeping. Some doors weren't doors at all, just walls that were playing tricks on you. Some staircases had a vanishing step that you had to jump, and believe me, I've fell for every damn trick that castle has to offer. And once I had, I never fell for it again.

I wasn't used to being treated like just another person. I was more than that, I was a god. But I had to get used to it.

The ghosts didn't help either. It was a nasty shock when they drifted through you, it was like an icy bucket of water was dumped over you. And Peeves was a nightmare. He would do anything to piss you off. One time, he snuck up behind me, the way every single one of his tricks starts off, grabbed my nose, and screeched "GOT YOUR CONK!"

I reacted so fast, I smacked him with a book and accidentally hit myself with it too. He screeched and I swore loudly. I would have thrown a dagger at him if I wasn't surrounded by my peers, and also if I wasn't thinking straight. But I was smarter than that. Peeves didn't bother me after that incident.

Filch, if possible, was even worse with peeves. He stalked the hallways sneakily, and if I was female I would have saw him as a pervert. He wouldn't let anyone get away with rule-breaking if he saw it, and he had a creepy cat named Mrs. Norris, who would wait for someone to break a rule, and whisk off for Filch. I avoided both of them as often as possible.

And then when you found them, there were the classes themselves. There was herbology, where a stout little witch by the name of Professor Sprout (quite convenient, her name) would teach us about strange plants and fungi. And then there was astronomy, where we would study the stars and night sky and learn the movements of the planets.

I obviously couldn't find Asgard, no matter how long I searched. I tried, though.

The most boring class was easily History of magic. I couldn't think of any time in which it would be useful to know what happened in the third wizarding war or whatever other pointless stuff happened. Maybe it would be slightly more interesting if our teacher wasn't a ghost and had the most droning, incessant voice ever. It put the class to sleep almost instantly.

Charms was interesting, and It was taught by a tiny wizard called Professor Flitwick. Like all the other teachers before him, he was very interested in Harry Potter, who I was starting to get slightly annoyed with, even if it wasn't his fault. But I wanted to be his friend, so I sat next to him and Ron nearly every day. He started to like me.

I paid close attention to professor Mcgonagall during transfiguration. I already knew that what she was going to teach us would be extremely helpful, just by judging her display of turning her desk into a pig. Hermione and I both were successful in turning a match into a needle during the first lesson.

Everyone was looking forward to defense against the dark arts, but, as I had expected, it was a joke. I could have done better at teaching it. He got off topic a lot, and his room reeked of garlic. I already despised professor Quirrell, he was flustered and disoriented, clumsy, and, in my opinion, kind of lame. I doodled on my paper half the time in his class.

As I had expected, I excelled in my classes. Many people were far behind, and I was praised for my hard work. I tried to tell people that it was it was just luck, but being humble was not my strength. I bet I just sounded overconfident.

After quite a long week, it was finally Friday morning. Harry, Ron and I made our way down to the dining hall without losing our way.

When we gathered our food, we all took a look at our schedules.