The Singer: Joe Elliot

Joe Elliott is the fantastic vocals behind the melodic rock powerhouse that is Def Leppard.  He was there since their beginnings and at fifty-two years old is still running strong vocally and actively within the band and out.  He is multi-talented and can play electric guitar, drums, piano, and the electric keyboard.

He was born Joseph Thomas Elliott Jr. on August 1, 1959 in Sheffield, England.  In 1977 he met Pete Willis, the guitarist for a local Sheffield band Atomic Mass, after missing the school bus.  When they found out they were both musicians, Elliott later met up with the rest of the band.  They talked for hours while listening to popular rock records of the time.  Although the rest of them hadn't heard him sing, they were intrigued by his ideas about being in a band.  Elliott joined them and even took the suggestion of the name change to "Deaf Leopard".  Tony Kenning, the drummer, suggested they change the name to "Def Leppard" in order to appear differnent from contempory punk bands.

Elliott currently lives in Stepaside, Ireland and within his home he has a music studio in which he does production for major artists.  Elliott has worked on many small side projects, such as a Mott the Hoople cover band called Down 'n' Outz, and a shortlived internet album project under a long gone band named Cybernauts.

The singer had a couple of past relationships.  His most current relationship was brought into marriage.  He married Kristine in September 2004 and they bore a child named Finlay in 2009.

This is Joe Elliott, your Def Leppard singer.