The Hysteria Album (Tracks and biography)

The album Hysteria was Def Leppard's  fifth album if you include the E.P.  It is a studio album that skyrocketed Def Leppard to the pinnacle of their fame.  It has been the band's dream ever since they started in 1977 to be the most famous band in the world.  And for a short time, the band was living the dream.

The album was one of the most expensive albums to produce in the day, in fact they had to sell $5 million dollars in album purchases to break even.  After a series of unfortunate events, most notably the loss of drummer Richard Allen's left arm in a car crash, that goal seemed almost impossible.  On top of that, the band's most prestigious and well liked producer/ songwriter John "Mutt" Lange notified the band that he would not be able to join them in the production of the album.

To replace Mutt they brought Jim Steinman who proved to be ineffective and like oil to water, didn't mix well with the band whose actions were dictated by past Mutt teachings.  Setting up shop in Dublin the band got down to business and started up with a few tracks.  After many episodes of getting drunk and pretending the music sounded great, they would wake up the next morning and realized the music was lacking.

It was apparent that in order to help produce such a groundbreaking record that could keep the looming failure from ripping the band to shreds, they either needed Mutt or multiple strokes of genius.  Luckily for them, when Mutt somehow was able to reunite with the band, strokes of genius also followed.

The first track released was in Def Leppard's homecountry in the UK was "Animal" which was recieved warmly but not the fantastic comeback the world had been looking for.  But for the US "Women" was released as the first single, and even though the song did reached the Billboard Hot 100, from the very first guitar riffs had a pop flare and a general removal of the hard rock roots they presented previously.  But when subsequent singles were released the album picked up the pace rather well.  When the single "Pour Some Sugar on Me" was released, the album exploded, and it is argued that if it were not for that one single, the album could've failed to generate the necessary revenue, and the album's success skyrocketed, nearly going Gold in one night.

When more singles came out, still with "Pour Some..." spearheading the album, it continued to push it higher and higher on the charts.  The concept of the album was devised by Mutt, and was modeled after Michael Jackson's Thriller album, in the sense that every song was to be a hit single.  The goal was nearly completed, and only a few songs failed to reach towering heights.  Each song was carefully written, revised, revised, revised, and revised some more until it was near perfect.  People at Mercury Records put faith in their producers working on the project who knew that the album needed time and would be a success.  

Since its release in 1987, the album has reached x12 Platinum sales, and sits as the 51st best selling album of all time in the US.  The album has spent a total of ninety-six weeks in the US Top 40, and has sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.

Hysteria is the album that defied all odds and just shows that with perseverence and determination  one or a group of people can achieve greatness.

Track Listings (In Order):

1. "Women" (5:41)

2. "Rocket" (6:37)

3. "Animal" (4:02)

4. "Love Bites" (5:46)

5. "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (4:25)

6. "Armageddon It" (5:21)

7. "Gods of War" (6:37)

8. "Don't Shoot Shotgun" (4:26)

9. "Run Riot" (4:39)

10. "Hysteria" (5:54)

11. "Exciteable" (4:19)

12. "Love and Affection" (4:37)