Chapter 1

Our pack, The Crescent Pack, is average size for werewolves these days. About 150 pack members in total. Like all the other packs out there, we have a pack house. A few members stay there, the Alpha and his family, the Beta and the third in command, the Delta. Meetings and parties are always held at the pack house.

"Zaya are you listening to me?" My sister looks at me, annoyed that I zoned out, again.

"Sorry Amber, I zoned out. What were you saying?"

"I was asking which top do you think I should wear to school today?" She holds up a dark blue elbow length top and then a maroon colour top next to it. "It needs to go with my shoes and pair of  jeans."

"Wear the maroon one, that colour looks nice on you."

Happily she skips to the bathroom to change. Sighing, I got up and dragged myself to my closet. We need to go to school, it sucks, I know. My dad says it's very important 'As future Beta Female of this pack, it's important to know how to track, body language of wolves, rankings...' Blah blah blah. I'm the oldest, at 17 years of age and my sister 2 years younger than me, which means I get the honour of taking over my dad's position as Beta.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I search in my closet for something to wear. I decide on a pair of jean shorts, my usual black boots and a top with a black wolf on it that says 'Warning: Might Bite' at the top.

"Zaya! Amber! Hurry up, you're going to be late for school!"

"Coming mom!" I yell as I let my long black hair drape over my back. My blue eyes standing out even more than usual. I'm not in the mood to deal with that today. "Amber get your butt out of the bathroom, we need to go"

She comes out of the bathroom and looks at me annoyed. "Relax I'm done. Stop worrying." She heads over to the mirror and checks her appearance again.

"I'm not worrying. I just can't understand why you need to take that long."

She looked at me as if I've grown two heads. "Looking this good takes time." She eyes me up and down. "From which you clearly know nothing about."

Rolling my eyes at her and letting out a sigh. "Just come on, you know dad hates it when we're late."

When we get downstairs, we're greeted by the smell of bacon and eggs. Mostly bacon. Dad sits at the table with his coffee while reading the newspaper and mom is finishing the last of the bacon before she hands each of us a plate.

"Put the newspaper away Charlie"

Dad laughs and neatly folds the paper. "Sorry darling. The food smells delicious."

"Of course it does. I made it."

We all ate breakfast as usual. As a happy family. Dad making jokes. Mom getting frustrated at his horrible attempt at jokes. Amber and I laughing and just enjoying our time. I wish it was like that all the time. Mom took our plates and headed towards the sink.

"Ready to go girls?"

"I'm going to wait in the car so long." Amber walks out of the door and heads to the car. I hear her slamming the door shut.

"Remember that you have to come with me to border patrol right after school."

"Yes dad, I remember."

"Don't be late, we'll meet the Alpha before we go."

"Yes dad."

"Good" He stands up and walks over to me. "You'll be a great Beta, I love you honey." He plants a kiss on my head.

"I love you too dad."

All of a sudden we hear the car hooter. "Let's go before Amber breaks the car." We both chuckle before we head to the car.