A Bad Dream

—Please, mom... stop. — Said 10-year-old Elizabeth, as tears rushed down her cheeks.

—Get out of my house you thief! I know you're here to steal my precious gems and perfume! —Hysterically screamed her mom.

—Mom, please! It's me! Your daughter, Elizabeth!

—I have no daughter!

As Elizabeth ran out of the room, a flowerpot was flung over her head, which broke into a thousand shards as it hit the wall. But Elizabeth just ducked and shut her eyes, running all the way to the living room, where a passed out, filthy man was lying on the couch. He had a bottle in his right hand, and one of his shoes was missing. As Elizabeth made her way through the room, she smelled alcohol; as if the room's casual scent was already constituted by it.

Elizabeth shook the man awake. —Daddy, I'm scared, Mommy is having one of her episodes again.

—Get-hic-out-little girl-hic- can't you see I'm- hic- having a-hic- party? — Slurred her dad.

—Please Daddy, Mommy has gone crazy again! — She said tearfully.

The man just waved his hand at her to leave, which caused him to fall of the couch.

—Whaaaa-hic- I'm not-hic-druuunk.

He giggled dumbly, then decided he was too tired, and fell asleep again, on the floor.

Elizabeth ran up the stairs to her room and locked the door behind her.

She sank to the floor, leaned her back against the wall, and buried her head in her crossed arms, which were resting on her knees. She wept until she thought she no longer had tears. Then, an idea crossed her mind, and she smiled at the thought. She was running away.

Owens woke up with tears in her eyes. No, she didn't want to remember her past; she had escaped from it for a reason. She sighed, and closed her eyes, hoping to be able to fall asleep again.