Pret A Manger

The next morning, Owens received a text from Robinson that invited her to lunch at Pret A Manger. She gladly accepted, after all, she did want to clear her head from some things, and she kind of was in the mood for sandwiches. She decided to wear a clean, simple dress for the occasion.

She arrived exactly at 11:00 a.m., as requested. Being punctual was one of the things detectives usually were. Since Robinson hadn't arrived yet, she sat at a table and saved a seat for him. She fiddles with her earrings, why was she feeling nervous all of the sudden?

—You fix up nicely.

She looked up from her seat as Robinson nodded at her appreciably. She huffed, what was that supposed to mean? Hungrily, they both ordered sandwiches and set off to discuss the case.

—I have news for you... —He said hesitantly.

—What about?— Asked Owens, suddenly curious. —Wait, you didn't just come to have lunch with me, did you? —. She quietly scolded herself; the disappointment in her voice was rather evident.

—I can see something is bothering you. — She added in the hopes of covering it.

Robinson gave her a long glance after he finally answered:

—Yes.

—Well?

—Tragically, Agatha Brooking was murdered right after the kidnapping; we found her body in her bed this morning. The murderer must have left her there as some kind of sign after we all headed home yesterday. Her life disappeared along with all her belongings the murderer must have stolen.

—That's-that's horrible. — Whispered Owens. She was almost completely sure she had already figured out this whole case, but if she was right, and she prayed to any superior force she wasn't, he couldn't find out. It was just too horrific.

—You'll-you'll have to excuse me Detective Robinson, I-I have to go, some business to attend, I'm really sorry-

—Wait, what? Don't go!

But Owens was already heading out.