Discussion

Owens arrived at the Criminal Investigation Department later that afternoon to speak to her boss. She waddled through a group of attendees before she managed to get to her boss' office. She knocked on the door quietly, and entered when she heard a "Come in."

She walked into the office she had entered so many times before, everything was as it always had been; the glass pane rearward wall, the bookshelf crammed with books against the left wall, and the wooden desk in the middle of the room with its plaque that said "Ronald Arnold".

She glanced at the corner of the room where an umbrella plant sat, dying from dehydration.

—Ah, Detective Owens. — Said Ronald from his desk. —To whom do I owe this honor?

—Actually, I came on my own, to speak to you.

—And what is it you want to speak about Detective?

—Sir, I've come to quit my case. You see, I've been having a hard time-

—This case depends on you Owens. — Ronald leaned forward. —I can't think of a better Detective to solve this case.— He stated as he smiled slyly.

—And I totally understand that, it's just that I need a break from all this work.

—And I can give you as many breaks as you want, afterwards of course, but that doesn't mean you should totally forget about this case.

—Yes, I know that. — Owens tugged at her dress nervously. —But I'm thinking that this case may be a bit to challenging for me, since it's a murder case.

There was a long pause before Ronald finally answered.

—You've handled murder cases before perfectly. Why quit on this one? — He inquired suspiciously.

—I'm just worn out and-

—Enough with the excuses Owens. You will continue working on this case and you will complete it successfully. — Ronald affirmed.

—I don't want it! Can't you see? I don't want this case anymore! — Owens burst out.

—You can quit your job afterwards if you want to! But it is your duty to complete the case you already started! — He yelled. After a few seconds, which felt like an eternity, he sighed and said:

—Leave my office.