Confession

Owens stormed out of the room, ignoring all the surprised faces from the attendees staring at her and slammed the door that lead to her office behind her.

She sat at her desk and rested her head in her hands.

—I can't believe it. — She mumbled to herself.

There was a knock on the door and Owens head perked up. Drastic thoughts crossed her mind all at once. Would Ronald come to scold at her for what she said? Was she in trouble?

—Come in.— She said shakily.

Robinson walked in cautiously.

—Did Ronald send you to convince me or something? — Asked Owens tiredly.

—No.

—Then what are you doing here?

—I heard everything. —He admitted.

—Well, isn't that nice, for you to eavesdrop. — She retorted.

—You were pretty much hollering. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole crew listened. — He answered defensibly.

Owens just sighed and buried her head in her hands again.

—Why do you want to quit the case? — He asked.

—It's nothing.

—Well, it certainly wasn't "nothing", since you were pretty much yelling because of it.

—By nothing, I meant it's none of your business. — She snapped.

—What's gotten into you? I thought we were doing great! We're supposed to be partners in this. Ever since we've started this case you've been extremely ill tempered.

—Well this isn't about you! Besides, I can't tell you.

—Why not? — Asked Robinson. —It's not like I'll abandon you and leave you alone with this case because of some little secret you tell me. That would be preposterous! You can trust me!

—You wouldn't understand. — She answered irritably.

—It hurts me to know that you see me as nothing more than a blooming idiot! I would if you'd just tell me!

The woman simply sniffled and wiped her eyes, hiding behind the hair that covered her face.

Robinson slowly walked up to her desk and offered her one of his tissues.

—Owens please, what is it?

Owens rose from her chair shakily and choked up tears before answering:

—My real name is Elizabeth Brooking.

To be continued...