Author Foreword

Hey, guys!

Hey, guys!

So, if you've found this book, there's a chance that you've read the first part; 'There are Many Flowers in Tokyo'.

If you haven't, Flowers in Tokyo was the story of fashion house CEO Lily Porter heading to Japan with her great-aunt Grace, and meeting Takashi Abe, the lead actor in a drama series that had been adapted from one of Grace's books. There are many ups, downs, greetings and partings in the story and - spoiler - this book is about their daughter.

I didn't intend to write a follow up book to Flowers in Tokyo (I did think about writing Grace's book Sins of the Fathers for a while), but the immense response I received from you all made me wonder about what their future child might get up to if she was growing up in the shadow of two such impressive people.

Would she be a spoiled princess, or would she find it all intimidating?

So, this book is set in the 'near future'. Rose is nineteen, she's out of High School, and she's deciding whether to go to University. At this age she's considered legally an adult in both Japan and South Korea, which is important to the story as it gives her the freedom to travel, drink, date, etc.

Naturally, I don't know what the future is going to be like (or, do I?), so you may find that I reference present-day technology on the assumption that we've not advanced to the point of hoverboards, flying cars, holograms, or Jaws 19.

Sorry, Back to the Future fans!

It was this, or I edit 68 chapters of the other book to adjust the timeline to the past and remove all recent technological references and - uh - no.

It's also important to note that - quite unlike me - Rose is fluent in both English and Japanese. As I can't write in Japanese without the aid of Google Translate, I will make it as clear as possible in the narrative which language people are conversing in before I write the dialogue in English. It's fair to say that after about twenty years of living in Japan full time, her mother Lily is also fluent in Japanese.

Now that's all been said, I hope you'll enjoy this new installment in the series, and the gratuitous cameos the old characters will make!

Clarissa North