Chapter 2

"Oh Jacqueline, I think Johnny was the cutest little thing I've even seen!" Skylar gushed as we walked back to my house. It was about 6:30, and we hung out at the park for a few hours, just talking. Skylar thought it'd be a good idea to go to my house, and dress up a bit more. Since she mostly wore hand-me-downs from Dally, I would always share my clothes with her.

"He didn't talk much," I said, "you're gonna have to keep the conversation going."

"I know," She looked down at the ground, "I'm just shy, that's the problem with me." she paused. "You know how Dally's always telling me that I have to be loud, and that I have to let people know who I am. But I'm just not like that. I don't know I just don't know how to talk to people." She laughed, "How on Earth am I gonna be able to talk to Johnny on this date tonight?

"Don't worry, I'll be there the whole time, so will Ponyboy." I giggled, what a name. He seemed so proud of his name when he introduced himself to me. His parents must be very creative people. We got to my house a few minutes later, and my parents were home. I opened the door, and Skylar followed me in, "Mom, dad, I'm home," I shouted, then I noticed that they were both in our living room My mom was kniting a blanket she had been working on for a while, and my dad was reading today's news paper.

"Hi Jacki, hi Skylar," My mom said looking up from her blanket. "Hey Aunt Linda," Skyalr said, then we hurried up the stairs, and into my room, where Skylar closed the door behind her, then plopped down on my bed. "What are we gonna wear?" I don't wanna wear this old thing tonight." She said looking down at her old flannel.

"I actually think you look nice, maybe I could wear something like that, but with my shorts, and you can pick something else." I said opening my closet door.

There was an abundant amount of jackets, flannels of many colors, and skinny jeans in my closet, but I did have a few pairs of shorts that I rarely wore. I don't like showing off my skin so much, but tonight, I will make the exception.

"Go have a look," I said, and motioned for Skylar to go look in my closet. After a few moments of looking she pulled out a red vest, black jeans, and a black t-shirt. "Hmm," She looked at it in front of her in the mirror. "I like this a lot. It would look well with black jeans, and your red lipstick." She smiled.

"Jeez you're turning into quite the stylist, don't go all frilly on me now." I laughed. I'd like to think we were both tom-boys. I did not like the idea of a girl from our side of town wearing a skirt and heels- it's just too dirty here. I'm perfectly fine dressing the way I do.

"Don't worry, I won't. And this outfit is perfect." She said smiling at me. "Go try it on!" I exclaimed, and shooed her into the bathroom. I looked for an outfit while she was changing. I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard (I never really do), but I still wanted to look nice.

A few minutes later Skyalr came back in, and she looked gorgeous. "That outfit looks perfect on you!" I exclaimed once again. "Thank you so much for letting me borrow these!" She said looking down at her outfit. "Of course, anything for you, we're practically sisters." I said, then she hugged me.

"Now we just have to find me an outfit," I said, turning back to my closet. After a few moments of browsing, I came across a red plaid flannel. I pulled it out of my closet, "I really like this," I said, "But it needs something else."

"How about this vest?" Skylar asked, as she pulled out a jean vest. "This is perfect, vests must be the theme tonight!" we laughed, "I'm gonna go change, then we can decide what we want to do with our hair." Then I went into the bathroom, and I quickly changed into the flannel, shorts, and I slipped the vest on. I looked in the bathroom mirror. For once I thought I actually looked decent.