Chapter 12

"Get off me!"

I whipped my head towards the direction of the voices. My suspicions were confirmed as Sharon Carter entered the Avengers Tower, flanked in both sides by Tony and Thor. Steve stood beside me, one hand resting on my back, the other shoved in his pocket. I squinted ahead at the sight in front of me. Sharon was saying a lot of things, but the only words I could make out were something about filing Tony for harassment and abuse. I almost snorted. As if Sharon didn't harass and abuse others. But then I thought otherwise, as I realized I was guilty of the same thing. I tensed up at the thought, and sensing this, Steve raised the hand on my back up to my shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze.

"You alright?" He whispered, just so the two of us could hear. I nodded, though my eyes couldn't meet his. I sighed and looked back up at Sharon and the boys. They were making slow progress.

"She give you any trouble along the way?" I asked Tony and Thor.

"She was quiet in the car and was pretty much fine until we entered this building. She's either trying to make a scene or is allergic to you," Tony curtly replied. I shook my head and waved a hand towards myself

"Bring her to me," I said. "You know I'll be interrogating her."

Moments later, I found myself in a dimly lit room, with no company but Sharon. I tried to hide an expression of disgust. Sharon and I sat across from each other, a rusty table between us. I folded my hands on the table and looked her in the eye.

"Let's start with the basics," I said. "What is your name?"

"Sharon Carter."

"Was Steve Rogers your husband?"

"Yes."

"Are Sarah and James Rogers the children you had with him?"

"Yes."

It was rapid fire like that, until we got to the real questions. The important ones.

"Did you or did you not push Sarah, your daughter, to be an agent? Against her will?" I asked her, enunciating my words carefully. There was a pause before Sharon spoke.

"No I did not," she answered. I stood up abruptly and slammed my hands on the table.

"Do not lie to me," I firmly stated. It was a command fit for me. I was able to tell very easily when someone lies. Sharon's eyes darted from left to right, never really looking directly at me. I sat back down.

"Tell me the truth."

"Yes. I pushed her."

"Sharon, you do know that being an agent, especially a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, is very dangerous? Not everyone is fit for the job, nor do they want to have the job," I said, a dangerous tone in my voice. "It is wrong to push someone to be an agent against their will."

Sharon looked at me, and gave me a laugh. Not that the laugh had any lightness to it.

"Yeah right. Are you sure you, the Black Widow, should be telling me about morals?" She asked me. Her words were dipped with poison. I closed my eyes, and counted to three. I opened them with an exhale.

"No changing of the subject from you. I am the interrogator. Only I can change the subject."

Sharon simply rolled her eyes at me. I gripped the table harder. She shot a glance at me, then looked down at her hands.

"Yes, it was wrong for me to do that."

I sat back down and leaned back in my chair with satisfaction. There we go. I leaned forward once again as we approached the next question.

"Did you experiment on James?" I asked. Sharon looked at me with a confused expression.

"What? No!" She exclaimed. I stood up, caught off guard, and was about to accuse her of lying when I caught the glint in her eye. She wasn't lying, but still was only giving half of the truth.

"Tell me the real story." I circled around the table as Sharon spoke, taking everything in. When she finished, I titled my head to the camera up above, from which I knew Steve was watching intently. I looked directly at it, then turned back to Sharon, who was pursing her lips and fidgeting her hands. I gave her a curt nod.

"Okay, you are dismissed. Thank you for your time." Sharon let out a sigh as she stood up and speed-walked out of the room. I could hear a string of profanity come out her mouth as she muttered under her breath. I waited until she was out of the room and looked back up at the camera. Looking directly at it, I threw my hands up in a shrug, then slapped them down back at my sides and walked out of the room.

As I walked in, I was met by an outburst of angry and confused complaints from Steve, Tony, and - well from practically everyone in the room.

"So she didn't try to kill James?"

"That doesn't even make sense!"

"Her story doesn't add up!"

"She's lying!"

"Did you guys even watch the interrogation?" I had to raise my voice to make everyone stop. "And you guys really can't trust me with this? I am a human lie detector, I can tell really easily if someone is lying or telling the truth. And Sharon was being truthful."

I turned to Steve. His eyes were disbelieving. I sighed.

"I know, I'm having trouble believing it too," I said to him. "But the truth is the truth. We can't be afraid of it."

*gasp* Sharon isn't the culprit we're trying to catch?

Sorry I took so long to update guys ☹️☹️.  I really haven't been diligent with this chapter... I'll try harder to be quicker with the next one. Though that isn't saying much since I say that every time... but I really will try harder.

And also I'm sorry because I didn't set aside a chapter for Chris Evans's birthday. I can't believe I missed his birthday! But yeah, here we are, over a week from his birthday, and I only tell him now happy belated birthday.

Anyways, thank you guys for reading my story and I will continue to update it, hopefully at a faster rate.