Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Slowly and reluctantly, my eyes fluttered open due to the morning sun rays peeking through my thin curtains and illuminating my eyelids. I had to squint my eyes because of the heavy shining. I attempted to drag my duvet over my head to block the sunlight, but something else had stopped my intentions by dragging the silky covers away from my body.

“Hey!” I shouted to my little sister, feeling the cold breeze instantly nip at the bare sections of my skin. I gripped the covers with my fists, swinging them over my head with a fierce force. The week had flown by quickly and I wasn’t just about to wake up early on a Saturday morning.

“Good morning.” My little sister beams, her big bright emerald eyes vibrant with life.  

“Go away, Kate.” I groaned, shoving her small chubby fingers away from my hair. Because of school and Hunter, I’ve been having a deranged sleeping schedule and lack of sleep.

“Momma left for workies,” Kate pouted, showing her lower lip for effect.

Considering my mom left for work, it had to be around eight o’clock in the morning. She works as a sale clerk in Macy’s and didn’t really make ‘big bucks.’ But luckily for her, she married a man that did. My step father works as ethologist and studies animal behavior. He works a double shift and is nearly never home, except on his days off. Even then, he isn’t home because he and my mom go out together often, leaving me to take care of my little sister, Katy, who is only five.

“Okay,” I sighed, getting her message. “What do you want?”

I could hear her small feet patting against the polished hardwood floor as she bounces in excitement.

“Pancakes, I want pancakes!” Kate chants, “Krissy!”

I shoved the covers away from my body, arching a brow at her and narrowing my eyes. She just flashes an innocent smile full of petite teeth and shrugs her small shoulders, one of her small hands gripping her stuffed unicorn. Her huge emerald eyes stare at me with a claimed innocence, begging for me to climb out of bed.

“Okay,” I huffed but smiled, “Chocolate chip pancakes?”  

“Yes!” Kate squealed, hugging her stuffed unicorn to her chest. My vision finally cleared and I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hands. I lifted myself from my bed, sitting on the edge of my bed. I watched my toes dangle over the hardwood floor for a moment before making contact with them. The hardwood floor made my bare feet splinter with a cool feeling. I arched my back, stretching out my spine as a loud cracking echoed underneath my skin. Kate scrunched her nose, obviously not amused.

“Let’s go,” I say, pushing Kate softly by her shoulders. She giggled, her blonde natural locks flowing around with each of her movements. As we walked out of my room, I took a quick glance at myself in the mirror. My reflection only made me cringe, because my dark hair was nippy and not kept under control. A faint a shade of rings bagged under my light blue eyes, making them seem pale and dull.

I followed Kate out of my bedroom and into the narrow hallway, until we finally reached the kitchen. Immediately, Kate’s small frame reached up for the cabinets, but she frowned when she couldn’t quite reach it because of her short frame. Laughing at her expense, I easily lifted her by her hips until she could reach the cabinets. She bubbled out a giggle, her chubby fingers opening the cabinet and grabbing a frying pan.

“Thank you,” I smiled, taking the pan from her hands. Kate only nodded and helped herself into a bar stool chair sat at the island counter. I turned the heat up to the appropriate temperature needed and set the frying pan on the burner. Next, I reached in the fridge to snatch the materials I would need. I smothered the butter onto the pan, rubbing it into the pan with my wooden spoon. While the butter would melt, I walked to the pantry and collected the pancake batter mix and chocolate chip bag. In a large bowl, I sifted the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. I made a well in the center before pouring milk, eggs, and melted butter. I mixed it until it was soothingly smooth, and sprinkled the chocolate chips in the batter while I did so. I poured the batter into the pan, making sure it was a small enough size for Kate.