Chapter 9

The next morning I went to say goodbye to father. I was crying as he hugged me wishing me a good life. I knew that being with Rei would mean cutting ties with him. As a future yakuza madam, I could not associate myself with halves.

Rei was watching from a distance but didn't interfere. He knows my pain is to be with him. He doesn't have the right to stop this farewell between a father and a daughter even if we aren't related by blood.

Haruhito, my father let go of me and smiled.

"I love you like my own daughter and I'm grateful for Ryo for bringing you into this world. I have been the proudest of a father, you have made me proud and you will continue to make me proud so please Mei, even though we can't stay in contact do not forget me."

I smiled at him with melancholy.

"I would never forget you." After those words, I watched as my father walked out the door and I wiped my tears. I promised I wouldn't show weakness. 

"Rei walked to stand behind me and I turned to look at him.

He seemed sad.

"I'm sorry Mei. Because of me." I pushed my hand to his lips and shook my head.

"This was my decision so don't worry about it. You will be taking my mother to meet your father today, correct? It's too bad I need to go to work and can't come." It was Rei's turn to shake his head.

"You need to go to work. It's your first day on duty after your injury so it's important also I wish to talk to your mother just the two of us." I smiled and shook my head.

"I'll have to get going. You sure Hakamada-kun is healed enough to take me to work?" Before he managed to answer I heard an answer from behind me.

"I'm in perfect shape, thank you for asking Ojou-sama." I turned around and saw Hakamada there, wearing casual clothes but his gun was still slightly visible from under his shirt.

"Hakamada-kun! Are your wounds alright?" He smiled.

"Riri has been looking after me very well. I'm fine and ready to return to duty as your bodyguard." I smiled.

"Well, that's good to hear." I looked at the clock and cursed under my breath turning to face Rei and giving him a fast kiss before walking to Hakamada-kun.

"We need to get going if we are going to be at the hospital in time." He nodded and we left in silence.

It was weird being back at the hospital, doing my routine check-ups. Performing surgeries.

I was walking down the hallway in the lobby away from the surgical ward after a basic glass shard removal surgery when I heard someone call out to me.

"Oh, my! Well isn't this a pleasant encounter, or not." I turned around and bit my lip as I saw the young girl surrounded by bodyguards, dressed in an exquisite red furisode, hair tied with a golden ornament.

Sumiyoshi Risa. The disgust she had towards me was clear on her face.

"Ah. Sumiyoshi-san, it has been a while." I tried to be polite but she simply shrugged towards me with a glare.

"Acting all high up just because Rei has taken a liking to you. I'm letting you know I'm not allowing it."

I smiled purposely dumb.

"Allow what?" She glared at me.

"Your marriage. You don't deserve him, you are just a nobody with a little bit of an education." I smiled.

"And how exactly are you planning on stopping us?" She smirked.

"At the gathering, We the Sumiyoshi family will request an official assessment of a bride. It is a tradition where the bride judged based on achievements, looks, intellect, basically, the worth of her genes and then all the families will vote if the bride is someone who is able to benefit the Yakuza. I, of course, will make sure no one votes for your marriage."

I clenched my fist slightly.

"And I thought Rei's father was for the marriage?" She giggled slightly.

"Even he can't say anything against a tradition. It is an old one but it still holds. No one is allowed to go against it. I will rip you away from him. Look forward to that cause I'll make it happen." She smiled as she walked past me into the hospital.

I couldn't retort back.

I know nothing about these traditions. I have to tell Rei maybe he will know what tradition she meant.

After I got home I went straight to his office and he welcomed me with a smile and dismissed his helper from the room to give us privacy.

"Mei! What a pleasant.." He went quiet as he saw my face, stood up and walked to me.

"Is everything alright?" He put my head on his hands and I told him what happened.

He sighed.

"That girl. She just doesn't give up, to think she diffed up that centuries-old tradition, but it's true it was written in our quote on quote laws. It is an assessment that any member can request and it must be performed. Basically, they will judge you based on your genes, but don't worry. There's no reason for them to vote against you as the tradition also includes that you must be assessed fairly and properly. I'm also a very good friend of Aizukotetsu-Kai's oldest son Kaoru. They are on our side so the vote will be a tie even if they get Inagawa-Kai's vote. With a tie, the decision will be my father's and he has already promised to support us. So don't worry." 

He kissed my forehead and I really did feel calmer, but there was a slight uneasiness growing in my stomach.