Chapter 1: The Sudden Engagement

"I'm home!" Yui announced her arrival loudly just like she always did every single day, hoping that the loudness of her voice could overcome the unpleasant sounds that she always heard everytime she opened that door to the place she called home.

"Shut up and listen to me first!" a masculine voice heard from the living room. It was obviously her Dad's.

"No, you listen to me!" then a woman's voice heard retorting the previous fierce voice. That would be her Mom.

"Huff.." the 23 years old Yamagata Yui sighed as she put off her shoes, changing them into the house slippers. "They're on it again." she mumbled as the arguments inside the living room were getting louder.

She ignored her quarreling parents and went straight to her room with another sigh. Their fights had become a regular daily routine, she stopped paying attention to it.

Her parents hadn't been on a good term since she was in middle school. They often argued, but lately the fights had become more frequent and worsen than before.

Her father was a police officer. Although he was supposed to be the man that full of sense of responsibility and justice, on the contrary he had a bad habit of betting and drinking. Her Mom always complained about his bad habit and that was the core of their arguments everytime.

She put her bag aside and reached for her smartphone before throwing herself onto her bed. She stuck the pair of earphone to her ears and closed her eyes.

"God.. If I was allowed to be selfish, I really wanted to hurry find a great man, get married and leave from here." she whispered to herself. "But I can't leave just yet... Not before my parents' relationship somehow get better..."

She rolled over and laid flat on her stomach, "I wonder if that would happen.. they had been like this since... forever."

She lost inside her deep thought. Since she always heard her parents fights, somehow she had created her own ideal marriage. She promised to herself that if she will be married, she would marry a great man who loved her genuinely. The one she also loved with all her heart.

She opened her eyes and looked sad, "A great man who loves me.. Marriage.. Would I experience such a luxury?"

That same night, on the other side of the city...

Ichi dragged his tired feet and stepped inside his apartment where he had lived by himself for these past years. The door behind him closed with a clank sound of the automatic lock system. He pulled loose the knot of his necktie as he yawned, feeling the exhaustion from the piling work he had at the office today.

"Ah... So tired..." He mumbled. "Can't wait to resume reading the new detective novel today..." his heart fluttered out of excitement.

He was Kamiya Ichi. The one and only heir of Kamiya Enterprise and currently worked as a Chief Director at his father's trading company.

Physically, he was tall and good looking, thin but had a nice toned body. His natural attitude was always cool and composed, totally a mature young adult. In the terms of intelligence, he had a brilliant mind and always the most excellent in everything he did. In his 27 years old age, he had accomplished so much that anyone would have been proud of. That was why it wasn't surprising at all that he was well liked by the society ever since he was young.

But on the inside, only a few people knew who he really was and how he acted in his true personality. It must've been hard to believe, but once he was home, he was completely a nerd, an otaku, obsessed with his collections of detective or investigations novels and books. His true self was naturally ice cold and he hated to built moreover to maintain relationships with people, other than for his business purpose.