Kings & Queens

Erza's P.O.V

I was sitting in my office, bent over paperwork for the past five hours. They were forms for trivial things: asking for my consent to build school houses, new buildings and a plaza. The rest were fill in forms from my council: requirements for food production, land extensions as well as poverty and inquiries from my end.

As the head of the government it wasn't unusual for me to work an over-excessive amount. I often lost sleep over work. Suppose that's what happens when there's no king on the throne.

Although, not having a man rule beside me was my own decision. One I was quite alright with. I could still remember when I had to replace my mothers council. The only person to not have lost their seat was Master Makarov. 

My mother was an independent woman, but far from who I wanted to be. The only qualities of her which were truly admirable were her independence and wisdom.

I leaned back in my chair, taking a deep breath. Then I looked to the window on my left. My eyes fixed themselves on the garden. I want to go outside. . .

I zoned out as I stared at the courtyard. My work had me so busy I hardly slept which was why had to focus twice as much. I often zoned out when I was exhausted. That's also probably the reason why I jumped when one of my captains came storming into my office.

I flicked my head to him and gave him an alarmed glare. He was heaving for air. It seemed like he ran all the way here. I stared at him, waiting for him to speak. "My Queen! We have a situation downstairs!"

***

I rushed down the halls— almost ran— to the entrance of the palace. According to the Second Warfare Unit's captain, there were unauthorized people trying to get into the palace. I reached the top of the stairs to see a patrol sized party. Each of the men were heavily armed and braced for battle.

"What is going on down here?!" I asked loudly as I began descending the stairs. The room seemed stagnant. Every man froze.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and all faces turned to me. "I'll ask again, what's going on?!" I demanded angrily this time. My patience also happened to run thin when I was tired.

Immediately after my question one of the nearest soldiers stood to attention and saluted. While a bow was traditional for nobility and a salute was reserved for Generals and Captains, it was still a sign of respect and pride. So to me, it was just as good as a bow. 

I looked at him, nodding for him to speak. "Yes, Highness, these people had claimed to have made an appointment with you. However, as we didn't see their names on your schedule we had no other choice but to turn them away. They refused and began fighting their way in. . ." He paused, looking at the ground. "We tried to hold them off."

I could see the guilt and shame in his eyes, clearly a cadet. I smiled. "It's alright, soldier. You held them off long enough for me to get here; that's good enough. Was anyone injured?"

"No, Highness. At least I don't believe so."

I nodded then turned to my captain. "Right, I believe that most of you can return to your posts. Except for you—" I looked to the cadet as everyone cleared out. He seemed frightened. "—and you, Captain."

The captain nodded and called the cadet to come stand beside him. I didn't miss the scolding glare the man gave the cadet. Poor things were going to be scolded later on. That's just the way it was, if one messes up they all mess up.

"Now then, who are these souls who so desperately seek an audience with me?" I tilted my head as I waited for a response.

"Forgive our intrusion, Your Highness," the deep voice of a man spoke up. I took a few regal steps toward the silhouettes by the doorway. "We seek an audience with the Head of State. I do believe we sent a letter to them announcing our arrival?"