Chapter 2

The next morning, I woke up startled. I had an awful nightmare about the syringes Cole had told me about. I had thought about it all night. I stayed up until 3 AM. I fell asleep without a clue of what to do. In my nightmare, I saw that all the adults were heartless and weren't real people. There souls were gone. Left was only a mind. I quickly shook my head to release the terrible feelings. I got off my bed and walked by my brother's room. He was still asleep. I strolled over to the dining room for breakfast. I actually liked breakfast. We ate eggs with toast and orange juice every morning. Uhh. I remember, we couldn't start eating until everyone was at the table. My parents were there. My father was sitting and reading about the daily news on his glass device. What I liked about our society was that it was really advanced... At least that's what I hear from my parents. My father told me once, that a long time ago, people had to read the news from paper. I can't imagine that! We rarely even see paper. So my father sat with the glass gadget and pinched in the air to zoom in on the article. The glass projected the things you wanted to see in the air so that you could easily find what you wanted with your voice and a few pinches. I saw my mom get up from the table and walk into the kitchen. I followed her.

"Mom, how are you today?"

"I'm doing well, Isabelle. Why do you ask?"

"I was just making sure you were fine."

"Alright then dear. Why don't you go fetch your brother so we can start eating."

"Yes mom!"

I walked to my brother's room. He didn't close the door as usual. I nudged his shoulder.

"Ah!"

"Hey, calm down, it's just me, your sister."

"Uhhhh."

"Time for breakfast. C'mon!"

"Okay, I'll be there soon. I have to do something real quick."

"Alright."

I went to the dining room and sat down. Cole came in 2 minutes later looking normal.

"Good morning mother. Father."

"Hello son," replied father.

"Come join us,"my mother said.

My brother came and sat down next to me, whereas my parents sat across each other at the end of the table. We all quietly ate our meal. Then I noticed that my mom didn't chew her food. She let it sit in her mouth and just swallow. I looked over to my dad. He did the same thing.