[26]

"And this memory your mother shared...that is your only memory of us?"

Kali was talking to Jane on the balcony outside, Gabby setting up her room to share with Jane.

"Of you? Yes. Of Jessie and Gabby? No."

The three of them are dancing and laughing, flower crowns on their heads and flower sprouting wherever two pairs of feet touch the ground.

"And how long have you been with this policeman?"

"Three hundred and twenty-seven days."

"And this policeman, he thinks he can work out some sort of deal with these men to set you free?"

"Yes. He says soon."

"He's naïve then. We'll always be monsters to them. Do you understand?"

No. No, El you're not the monster.

Jane nodded, trying to cast out the voice in her head.

"Let me guess. Your policeman, he also stops you from using your gifts?"

Jane nodded.

"He says it isn't safe but...Jessie tells me that she often uses her powers out in plain sight. No one has noticed or has taken her away."

Kali chuckles.

"And her friends, YOUR friends, they support it?"

"The one who knows about her, yes."

You should have seen it El! Jess made Troy trip down on his face after he called Will a really bad slur! It was hilarious!

"She's lucky then, having friends that support her use of her gifts...what you can do is incredible. It makes you very special, Jane."

"Wait. Do you have a gift?"

"So does Gabby, but we only share my gift...much like you and Jessica. And it's different. We can make people see, or not see, whatever we choose."

"Is that why you made the man with the crazy hair dance?"

Kali chuckled.

"Axel's not so fond of spiders, so..."

"You made him see spiders?"

Kali nodded, smirking at her.

Jane lets a smirk play on her lips as well, kinda finding it funny.

"But it doesn't have to be scary."

Kali opened her palm, revealing a butterfly with changing colors.

"This butterfly, it isn't real. I've just convinced your mind it is."

Jane watched the butterfly, awe clear in her eyes.