Chapter 5: Dawn of Realization

Sometimes horrible things happen to teach you courage. Sometimes they happen so that you learn to savor the happy moments, but most of the time they happen as a consequence of your own choices. That’s what my mother always told me whenever I got pricked by a thorn, or excluded from a game of hide and seek. I always thought it only applied to those simple situations, but tonight I know that there was so much more meaning behind those words.

   My feet pound against the twig infested forest floor. I hear multiple twigs snapping with each footfall made by my brother, Jasper or me. My still damp clothes do little to protect me from the frigid wind as it whips my hair back. It makes breathing feel like I’m swallowing shards of ice. I try to dodge the trees that are so closely packed together, but my jacket occasionally snags on a branch that I see to late. All this running and fear is my fault of course. If I had just tried to stifle my scream we wouldn’t be running for our lives right now.

   Something isn’t right; or rather something is too right. I hear no sounds emanating from the forest except for those made by us. Slowly, I bring my feet to a halt; a few moments later I feel something strong collide with my back, Jasper.

“Ah, jeez what the hell did you stop for? We’re kind of running away from something that could possibly kill us.” He pushes at me to make me go forward, but I stubbornly stay put.

“Shhh, do you hear anything?” I twist my head around trying to pick up any sounds.

“What? No. Now come on-“ He says impatiently.

“Exactly you idiot. There isn’t anybody, or anything here but us.” Suddenly I realize Abraham is missing. He was right behind me a minute ago, where could he have gone? “Jasper, where’s Abe?” I try to stifle the rising panic I’m feeling, but that only succeeds at making my voice high and squeaky.   

   He stops pushing me and stands straighter, as though he too has just noticed that my brother isn’t with us. I strain my ears to listen to any sudden movements but I don’t hear anything. Then from a couple of feet behind me I hear a faint rustling of leaves. I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. My brother, he’s safe! I take a few hurried steps towards the sound but before I reach it Abraham bursts out from between the thick mess of trees, his eyes are round with fear and his legs are moving so fast I can barely distinguish one from the other. Before I even have time to register that he’s OK he darts past us shouting, “RUN!”

   “What’s wrong pygm-“ Jasper doesn’t finish his sentence, for the sight in front of us would make even the wittiest of people forget how to form a meaningful sentence. A huge beast with a mixture of brown and dark grey fur jumped out from behind Abraham. It is suspended in the air for just a second, as though it is flying, but then it lands with a heavy thump right in front of me. It is as wide as I am tall and standing on four paws, its back almost reaches my shoulders. I fumble for Jasper’s hand but he’s already gone, so I do the only thing I’m good at and rather, the only thing I could do. I run.

   The stinging cold I was so pained by before seems like childish concerns now. I can’t even feel my legs anymore and I know that soon they won’t be able to carry me.          

   My long brown waves have stuck to my scalp and neck. For a second I ponder looking back to see if the beast has gained on me, but then I think better of it. Of course it’s right behind me, I can practically feel it exhaling on my neck. The thought makes me quiver. And then I inhale a thick intoxicating smell. The scent is so bitter and so strong I gag on it. I’ve only ever smelled anything like it once, the day my grandmother died. It’s blood.