04

THEY both stare at the individual crouched on the floor before them.

sooyoung had pushed the desk aside without hesitation, shoving her knife at the neck of the person behind it. and jungkook had watched, prepared to help her in case the person was hostile. but now, his eyes soften as he takes in familiar, frightened brown eyes.

"chaeyoung" he whispers as he approaches. her brown eyes light up in recognition when he crouches down before her, pushing sooyoung's knife away from her neck, "it's me, jungkook. are you okay?"

"jungkook, i'm so glad it's you!" chaeyoung says, a relieved smile on her face as she leans up and wraps her arms tightly around him in a hug, closing her eyes with a sigh as she leans her head against his neck, "i was so scared."

"it's okay." jungkook tells her assuringly, finally wrapping his arms around her in return and rubbing her back gently, "sooyoung and i will protect you. we'll keep you safe and figure out a way to survive this. everything will be okay, i promise."

park chaeyoung had been jungkook's first ever crush. back in middle school is when he'd first laid eyes on her, and ever since then he had been enraptured. not only was she beautiful, like the first snowflake that grazes your skin at the beginning of winter, but she was also sweet with the voice of an angel. jungkook had been too shy to confess his feelings for her, and he still is now. but he thinks the fact that they're associates is good enough, at least he got to hear her sweet voice every time he'd pass her in the hallway, the way a smile would break out onto her face as she'd wave and call brightly, "jungkook over here!"

maybe this was his chance. he couldn't confess his feelings for chaeyoung, but the least he could do was keep her safe.

he smiles at the prospect of doing so, of being the one to save her from this when a dark aura seems to surround the room then.

"jungkook" a deadly calm voice says, "get away from her."

frowning in confusion, jungkook pulls back from chaeyoung, who's also frowning, to look back at sooyoung. the dark haired girls head is duck, curtaining her face behind her dark curls. but the subtle shaking of her hands is noticeable as she sits still on the back of her knees.

"i said-" her quiet voice cuts through the silence then, monotone and void in a way that made jungkook swallow nervously, "-get away from her!"

jungkook shouts in surprise when her head snaps up, a wild look in her eyes as she shoves him back before aiming the bloody knife at chaeyoung's heart.

"sooyoung, what the hell are you doing? cut it out, would you? put the knife down, you psychopath, you're scaring her!" jungkook says, glaring at her when he notices how chaeyoung starts to shake while staring fearfully at the knife wielding girl.

"but jungkook, this bitch is trying to trick us." sooyoung claims in a voice mimicking a child being scolded, eyes pleading, lips pouty as she glances at chaeyoung, "so let me kill her before she does something crazy, like hurt you."

"you're delusional." jungkook tells her, grabbing chaeyoung and pulling her close, the light haired girl burying her face in his chest, clutching his shirt with her delicate fists, "she's scared just like us, see? she isn't going to hurt me, or you."

sooyoung sighs as if this is a trivial task. she slowly rises to a stand then, turning to face the other two teens.

"sweetie, think about it." sooyoung addresses jungkook, holding up her knife and swiping the blood from the tip with an unreadable expression, "don't you remember how hard it was getting out of the first floor? there's two of us, and if i hadn't snuck this knife from your jacket pocket while you were running, we would have died down there. if it was that hard getting out as a two man team, then how could she have made it to the second floor all on her own?"