00. PROLOGUE

alive
00. prologue

     THE SUBTLE HARSHNESS of the freezing, autumn night's breeze had no affect on Connor's meticulous pace

     THE SUBTLE HARSHNESS of the freezing, autumn night's breeze had no affect on Connor's meticulous pace. Whereas the fragility of a human would have made the habit tiresome, he had no problem walking aimlessly along the city of Detroit; his eyes constantly scanning his surroundings as to better his nearly perfect recollection of the graffitied city streets.

     He was an android, of course.

     With no lungs or sleep schedule to restrict him, he freely navigated himself to a familiar park, coin in hand. Back and forth. Back and forth. The little trick that helped calibrate his senses was second nature to him, despite Hank's numerous aggravated complaints about 'that damn godforsaken coin'.

The park he had arrived to was almost identical to it's state the previous day; picnic tables spread out along the grass as the street lamps dimly lit the sidewalk. In a way, he found comfort in the scenery, even three years after the emancipation of robots, society was continuously changing. With more and more cases at the station related to crimes committed by 'Anti-Android' hate groups, the eerily peaceful aura of Detroit past nightfall was almost consoling.

    It was silent, other than the odd, soft click of his shoes tapping on the concrete. His eyes shifting as he neared the fountain, which was added to memorialize the day androids and humans became equal, was located in the center of the quiet public garden.

Connor, who was unaware of the petite brunette sitting on the bench to his far left, stood in front of the tribute with an expressionless face, still flicking the coin diligently between his hands. While to the outside world he seemed still, his mind was racing at all moments as he lacked the need for rest.

A curse disguised as blessing for many androids, considering his thoughts were either focused on current investigations or quite existential. Truthfully, it was still hard to come to reason with the emotions that came with breaking the barriers of his software. While he managed to bury some of the uncertainty underneath his seemingly cold exterior, he was still lost.

...

"Nice trick you got there" interrupted a soft voice in a playful tone, causing his head to turn toward the bench where the noise originated from.

Admittedly, Connor was caught off guard as he wasn't prepared for anybody to be awake at such an hour, let alone roaming the parks of Detroit. However, his brief confusion didn't stop him from scanning the girl, who had sat at the bench alone and empty-handed, with nothing but a small over the shoulder bag with her.

Scanning..
Audrey Marie
Age: 26
Criminal History: None

His detective programming began to take lead as he assessed the situation in mere seconds: