Chapter Three

"So how did it go with Clint?" Natasha asked Steve when he returned to the common floor shortly after Bucky.

Steve glanced up at Bucky and waited for him to answer first. The other man didn't seem harmed in any way, so Steve figured their talk had gone well. Or at least as well as it could given Clint's mindset on Bucky at the moment.

"We understand each other," Bucky said flatly.

Natasha arched an eyebrow but didn't say anything, and neither did Steve. He wasn't particularly surprised by that answer.

"What about you, Cap?"

Steve shrugged noncommittally and glanced up at Bucky. His friend's eyes were narrowed and he jerked his chin towards the kitchen. Bucky turned on his heel and walked out and Steve waited a few seconds before following, ignoring the suspicious look Natasha was giving him.

"Let me guess, he threatened to kill you if you hurt any of us?"

"Yes, and I threatened to kill him if he hurt you," Bucky replied, still looking at him with narrowed eyes.

"It's not what you think, Buck," Steve said quickly, heart hammering in his chest.

"You happy?"

The question surprised him, but he managed to nod dumbly. Bucky nodded and leaned backwards against one of the counters, still studying him quietly. Steve cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck.

"Well, yeah but it's not-"

"You're happy."

"Yes."

"He seems... intense," Bucky said after a moment of silence.

"He'll warm up to you, Bucky. I promise."

Bucky just shrugged and Steve bounced on the balls of his feet. He was never unsure about what to say to Bucky before, but now it wasn't the same man as before, and he didn't know what to do.

"He's been through some hard times, Buck, but I promise he'll warm up to you eventually."

"It won't bother me if he doesn't."

"I know," Steve sighed, "but I want him to. And I know he will."