Chapter Twenty Three

Clint could feel an arm around his waist and a body pressed against his back, but he couldn't completely wake up. He was frozen in fear, watching again as the scepter went through Phil's chest. Clint suddenly couldn't breathe, but he could hear himself gasping. Vaguely he could hear Steve and Barnes talking to him, trying to calm him down. He couldn't open his eyes and get rid of the image.

"Clint! Please, wake up!" He heard Barnes yell.

Clint's eyes snapped open with a strangled gasp and he buried his face in the closest chest. He recognized it to be Steve when the man's arms went around him.

"It- sorry- I-" Clint gasped.

"You're okay," Barnes reassured.

Clint's breathing slowly returned to normal as he realized that he was shaking and crying against Steve. He shoved the man away and struggled to get out of the bed. An arm snaked around his waist and Clint froze.

"Hey, just stay until you calm down."

"No. Let go."

"Clint-"

"When did it become first names, Barnes? Let go of me," Clint snapped.

He twisted free and darted for the bathroom, locking the door shut behind him. Clint slid down the wall and took a few deep breaths, listening carefully for any sign that Steve or Barnes would break the door. It was quiet, but Clint didn't relax. There was usually a calm before the storm every time he went on a mission, he assumed this wouldn't be different. As expected, he heard footsteps approaching the door.

"Clint, I know how hard this is for you, but you're not going to get better unless you let us help," he heard Steve say through the door.

Clint remained silent for a long moment before he stood and opened the door. Immediately he found himself in a tight hug. Clint slowly relaxed and let hitmself be held.

"Can't stop seeing it," he whispered.

"I know."

"I want him back," Clint admitted.

"I know," Steve replied.