6 - l'ange apporte des sourires et une confession

-

Edwin sat on the floor in Gabriel's living room, awkwardly tapping his severely chewed-down fingernails on his leg and waiting for Gabriel to return to the room from his trek into the kitchen for snacks. Gabriel's mother was bright and blonde, and had very enthusiastically shaken Edwin's hand upon his arrival. She had introduced herself as Miss Basil, but apparently Gabriel did not share her last name. That was the first time that Edwin had realized he didn't know Gabriel's last name. Of course, it didn't matter. It wasn't like he was a middle school girl, the kind who would try out her first name with her crush's last. Of course, it was tempting, but he clearly had more dignity than to do anything like that.

Maybe.

Gabriel then re-entered the living room holding a round dinner plate full of cookies, which seemed to be freshly baked, judging by the steam coming off of them. "Mom's a total baking freak," Gabriel explained as he sat down next to Edwin on the carpet, their combined body heat immediately warming them both as their shoulders accidentally brushed.

"So," Edwin began as Gabriel sat the plate of cookies down on the floor. "What was your idea?"

"Honestly?" Gabriel asked, squinting slightly and trying hard to fight a grin when Edwin hesitantly took a cookie and bit into it.

"Yes, honestly," Edwin spoke through a mouthful of cookie, also fighting a smile. "Why would I want you to lie?"

"Cause it's kind of embarrassing," Gabriel admitted with a small shrug. "I'm gonna say it, and you can tell me if you don't want to do it."

Edwin nodded, straightening his glasses. He would, as a general rule, always listen to anything and everything Gabriel had to say.

"So, I'm in drag," Gabriel began. He only got so far into his speech when both boys burst out laughing. They finished their fit of laughter nearly three minutes later, and Gabriel regained his breath to continue speaking.

"So, I'm in drag," he repeated, holding his stomach from all the laughter. "Think classic housewife. The scene opens with me in a kitchen, with this really cheerful air, old 50's music playing, probably Elvis or Ray Charles, with me whistling along, all happy, and then you come in from offstage dressed in a suit, and, instead of saying the classic, 'Honey, I'm home', you yell at me, 'I'm home, you miserable shrew!'"

Edwin laughed. "And...?"

"We're this horribly unhappy couple," Gabriel explained. "I purposely cook you bad-tasting food, and you call me names and make fun of my weight..."

"And...?" Edwin asked again, raising his eyebrows in curiosity.

"We go throughout the typical evening routine with those twists, and then I go to bed, and you dial the phone and go, 'Jerry, I have a problem. I think I'm in love with my wife'."

Edwin finally allowed Gabriel's incredibly beautiful and infectious smile to infect his. "That's... hilarious."

Gabriel's smile widened at Edwin's approval. "You think?"

Edwin nodded, his cheeks heating up. "Yeah."

"Great," Gabriel nodded. "Now, let's talk costumes."

"I think I'll just trust you on that matter," Edwin warned. "You dress much better than I do."

"That's not true," Gabriel replied. "I love the way you dress."

"Well, at the very least, you're better at makeup than I could ever hope to be," Edwin returned, his face burning with a blush. "That winged eyeliner is practically legendary."

Gabriel bit his lip and absentmindedly moved his hair away from his face, putting the sharp eyeliner on display. Edwin marveled at how amazingly pretty he was. "You like it? Usually people don't."

Edwin nodded. "I think it looks awesome. You shouldn't listen to anyone who says it doesn't."

Gabriel's smile got bigger, if that was even humanly possible. "Thanks a lot, Edwin."

Just like usual, Edwin blushed every time Gabriel said his name. It sounded so weirdly special when it came from him, like it was was more than just a name, like there was some kind of message hidden within his words, and Edwin felt almost sure it was a good one. It may not have been I like you, but it seemed it might've at least been you're an okay drama partner. Edwin hoped it was that good.

He went home that night wearing a gargantuan grin, which was incredibly far from a frequent occurrence for him.

Edwin entered his home to see his mom leaning on a counter.

"How was skit-writing with..." his mother trailed off, trying to recall the name of her son's drama partner.

"Gabriel," Edwin reminded. "And it was fun. We've got most of the skit conceptualized at this point."

His mother nodded. "I'm glad."

Edwin bit his lip, looking his mother in the eyes. Something in his heart was filling him with courage. It was finally time to do this thing.

"Mom," he said. She looked up. "I... think that there's something I'd like for you to know."

"What is it, sweetheart?" His mother asked, looking concerned in that classic, motherly way.

"Um, I've kind of questioned myself about this for a while, but I think I'm sure now," he said. "I'm gay."

His mother nodded. "And do you like being gay?"

Despite not quite understanding why  she had worded the question the way she had, Edwin answered, "I don't know, I just do it."

His mother laughed. "That's not what I meant, sweetheart. Do you accept it? Do you embrace it?" She raised her eyebrows suggestively. "Are there any boys you'd maybe want to date?"

Edwin bit his lip to restrain his smile. "Have I showed you what Gabriel looks like?"

His mother raised her eyebrows in interest. "No. He's cute?"

Edwin nodded, pulling out his phone and finding the photo Gabriel had taken of himself for Edwin to use as the photo for his contact.

"Oh," his mother cooed. "What a cutie! Do you think he might like you, too?"

Edwin shrugged. "I have no idea. Do you want to hear about the skit?"

His mother nodded. Edwin explained the entirety of their skit, putting his mother in absolute stitches. Just before he started to leave the room in order to get ready for bed, she stopped him.

"I'm glad you told me, honey."

"I am too, Mom."